Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2012, 08:54 AM
    What is minimal power for gas operated generator
    What is an effective powered generator voltage requirements. I live in Florida
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
    TO do what exactly? Run a Shopping Mall... or a light bulb in a tent?
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Ha Ha Great. No just a few household outlets. In case of a hurricane
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
    YOU need to determine what circuits are important to you, figure out what they need including allowances for startup surges...

The number if you ask 10 different housholds can be ten different answers.

It boils down to what can you afford as that will be a major factor on deciding what you will end up haviing on the generator.

You want at least your refridgerator/freezer on it... and enough for some lights and maybe for a TV... as a minimum.

I'm going to toss out a random number that's a good baseline that could do that much. And that's 5,500 watts... but if you want hot water... and other things you can easily reach 10,000 watts or more, particularly if you want your A/C working too.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
    That is a wonderful answer. The minimum is a great starting place
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2012, 05:07 AM
    We Deal with Hurricanes Frequently down here, You can actually get by with less than 5000 Watts, There are 2 Extremes down here, 1 is to Back up their whole House(Central Air, Everything), and they can feel like there is no problem outside their house. Eats a lot of fuel with those loads.
    The Other end is Minimum, from a 20 Amp circuit to 5K, it will power your fridge, some lights and ceiling fan.
    I have hooked very small generators to feed most of the 120 volt circuits, turn light off as you leave a room, turn on the one your in, You will have power and lights available throughout. I would get a Generator that also puts out 12 volts, this way you can charge a Battery for nighttime use. Lights, Scanner/Radio, 12 volt Fan, allows Lights and Fan at night without the Generator running, and No candles(Safer), Candles if needed. Quiter.
    If the wind shifts at night, you could wake up dead(Carbon Monoxide), Also leaving a small Generator out at night will surely be stolen(These small generators are worth Gold during Outages).
    Good Luck.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    We Deal with Hurricanes Frequently down here, You can actually get by with less than 5000 Watts, Their are 2 Extremes down here, 1 is to Back up their whole House(Central Air, Everything), and they can feel like their is no problem outside their house. Eats a lot of fuel with those loads.
    The Other end is Minimum, from a 20 Amp circuit to 5K, it will power your fridge, some lights and ceiling fan.
    I have hooked very small generators to feed most of the 120 volt circuits, turn light off as you leave a room, turn on the one your in, You will have power and lights available throughout. I would get a Generator that also puts out 12 volts, this way you can charge a Battery for nighttime use. Lights, Scanner/Radio, 12 volt Fan, allows Lights and Fan at night without the Generator running, and No candles(Safer), Candles if needed. Quiter.
    If the wind shifts at night, you could wake up dead(Carbon Monoxide), Also leaving a small Generator out at night will surely be stolen(These small generators are worth Gold during Outages).
    Good Luck.

Thank You
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2012, 05:46 AM
    Just an FYI... I tossed out the 5,550 watt number because that's a common capacity rating for a medium sized portable generator that's not too expensive. (I feel you figure out what you need, then buy the next larger size) Larger units start to escalate in price rapidly above that. And it allows a comortable extra capacity over what I think a bare minimum would be... that you won't be tripping the circuit breaker on frequently.

Incidentally, I have two backup gens... a 3,500 watt and a 5,500 watt. Never tripped the breaker on the 5,500 yet... but have quite a few times on the 3,500 watt unit.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2012, 05:54 AM
    Smoothy, The 5500 is great. What happens is Most will trip, People will keep trying more Loads for More Comfort. Then they find they need to shut something off, before turning something else on?
    The Smaller size allows More portability. A woman could lift in and out of a Vehicle.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Wonderful Viewpoints
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 06:02 AM
    Maybe this generator is too small:PRODUCT DESCRIPTION $329.00

The Sportsman Series Gasoline 4000 Watt Portable Generator is a great solution for recreational activities as well as for temporary power supply in case of power outages. This 4000Watt unit is the perfect size to take for that weekend getaway, to tailgate the game at the stadium or in case you need some temporary power in an emergency situation. It is ideal for hunters and campers running portable TVs, radio, small stoves, grills, and other small appliances.his recoil start generator can run for 9 hours with a 50% load on 4 gallons of gasoline. Equipped with two 120 volt outlets and a 12 volt DC outlet for battery charging.This generator is powered by unleaded gasoline which is a convenient and easy to find fuel source. Choosing a gasoline generator like the Sportsman Series 4000 Watt Portable Gasoline Generator can ease your worry when catastrophe strikes, and make your leisure activities even more fun.Includes mail-in rebate form for free bottle of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer, America's top selling fuel stabilizer. It keeps fuel fresh for quick, easy starts after storage, and it eliminates the need to drain fuel before storage.

4000 Surge Watts/3250 Running Watts
    6.5 HP Engine, 4 Stroke OHV, Recoil Start
    Automatic Low Oil Shutdown
    1-12V DC Outlet And 2-120V Outlets
    Engine Run Time equal to 9 Hours at 50% Load
    4 Gallon Fuel Tank, Fuel Type: Unleaded Gasoline
    EPA Approved
    Click on the “More Info” tab to download the specifications pdf to view the wattage requirement guide
    MFG Brand Name : Sportsman
    MFG Model # : GEN4065
    MFG Part # : GEN4065
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Smoothy, The 5500 is great. What happens is Most will trip, People will keep trying more Loads for More Comfort. Then they find they need to shut something off, before turning something else on?
    The Smaller size allows More portability. A woman could lift in and out of a Vehicle.
    True... but I know my 3,500 watt unit (the smaller of the two) most guys would have trouble picking up much less getting it out of a vehicle... and the relly compact light ones out there I've seen won't handle a startup surge on a refrigerator... at least that the average out of shape middle aged guy could lug around. Much less a woman. ( my wife couldn't deal with bigger than a 1,000 watt unit as far as weight goes)

And to add... buying too small, often results in having to go back to buy the one you should have got in the first place. Leaving one to resell at a loss, or collect dust.

But yeah... I do agree... an exact number of what size do I buy is like asking where the best place to eat is. Its all highly subjective.

However since you don't use these often.. unless you buy a LPG or Natural gas unit or a diesel one... store it with the fuel tank and carb dry. AND drag it OUTSIDE the house or garage before you use it , yeah that's common sense but every storm in my area we hear of someone that was running one in their basement or garage and a fatality is usually involved, so common sense is not as common as one would think.

A wheel kit is a good addition ( would let most women pull it outside)... and a good anchor in the ground and a heavy chain and padlock to keep the less determined theifs from carrying it off is a great idea too
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 06:44 AM
    Very good

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will it hurt a gas furnace if I use a generator for backup power during a power outag [ 1 Answers ]

Will it hurt a gas furnace if I use a 3500 watt generator for backup power during a power outage?

I require for a Power Plus 5000 Generator 1 generator under following specifications: [ 1 Answers ]

I require for a Power Plus 5000 Generator 1 generator under following specifications: 5000 Watts, 120V, 1 Phase, 60 Hz at 3600 RPM, 3720 RPM at no-load. Thank you, Publio

Gas operated weedeater [ 1 Answers ]

How do I put the cord on the weedeater

View more questions Search