Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soton-girl Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 07:44 AM
    Pregnancy scare
    Hi, I'm worried I may be pregnant. I'm currently a 20 year old student in a long term relationship with my boyfriend of nearly 4 years. I'm 6 days late for my period, my cycle can vary from 28-35 days. However, on 30th July I had sex and the condom came off after he ejaculated. I noticed some spotting on the 5th August after a hard work out on an exercise bike. I've had PMS symptons for nearly 2 weeks which is normal for me however I keep having these symptoms but I haven't started my period yet. I've been stressing myself out about it which I know can make my period even later. I haven't taken a pregnancy test yet because I'm terrified I could be pregnant and I don't know who to turn to. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated, thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
    You had sex... even if the condom didn't come off there was as at least a 10% chance if pregnancy with them. Even if you was also on the Pill there is still a chance, just much lower.

My advice... wiat a couple more weeks and take a HPT... by waiting that long you can be sure you won't get a false negative.

Maybe you will get lucky and your period will start before then. Stress alone can cause it to be late.

Aug 22, 2012, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You had sex....even if the condom didn't come off there was as at least a 10% chance if pregnancy with them. Even if you was also on the Pill there is still a chance, just much lower.

My advice....wiat a couple more weeks and take a HPT....by waiting that long you can be sure you won't get a false negative.

Maybe you will get lucky and your period will start before then. Stress alone can cause it to be late.
    I was thinking about doing a test tomorrow, is that too early then? The waiting is killing me, plus my mum is suspicious. I really can't be pregnant :(
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
    You can test now, but remember to use first morning urine.

Aug 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You can test now, but remember to use first morning urine.
    The only chance I'm going to have tomorrow is to to it in the evening, would that mess it up?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Yes it has to be in the morning, everyone has mornings, just do it when you get up,
    There is no reason you can't do it in the mornings, take the test you were going to use in the evnening home, and do the test when you wake up.

But it sounds like a fairly good change you are pregnant from what you have described.

And again not sure what you are terrified about
    1. you are 20, so a adult
    2. you knew you were having sex
    3. you did not choose to use birth control pills and condoms, which is still not 100 percent but much better than condoms.
    4. you choose to use only condoms that have at least a 3 percent change of failure if done perfectly, and up to over a 10 percent chance of failure as normally used.

So pregnancy is just a result of your planning or lack of it.

So no idea why you are scared now, before you had sex was when to be scared,
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by soton-girl View Post
    The only chance I'm going to have tomorrow is to to it in the evening, would that mess it up?
    Yes. You risk a false negative. Home testing should always be done as soon as you wake up as the concentration of the pregnancy hormones is more concentrated.

Aug 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes it has to be in the morning, everyone has mornings, just do it when you get up,
    There is no reason you can't do it in the mornings, take the test you were going to use in the evnening home, and do the test when you wake up.

but it sounds like a fairly good change you are pregnant from what you have described.

And again not sure what you are terrified about
    1. you are 20, so a adult
    2. you knew you were having sex
    3. you did not choose to use birth control pills and condoms, which is still not 100 percent but much better than condoms.
    4. you choose to use only condoms that have at least a 3 percent change of failure if done perfectly, and up to over a 10 percent chance of failure as normally used.

So pregnancy is just a result of your planning or lack of it.

so no idea why you are scared now, before you had sex was when to be scared,
    I'm not able to get the test until tomorrow evening and I can't take it home and risk the chance of my parents finding out, I'm in my last year of university and can't be pregnant. I understand what you said about taking the pill etc however I don't react well to hormone tablets hence why I'm not on the pill.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
    I'm not able to get the test until tomorrow evening and I can't take it home and risk the chance of my parents finding out, I'm in my last year of university and can't be pregnant. I understand what you said about taking the pill etc however I don't react well to hormone tablets hence why I'm not on the pill.
    SO... you don't think your parents will find out eventually if you are pregnant?. You get pretty big by the sixth month... and right after the ninth month you have this little tiny human that will be attached to you for life.

You are 20... you are an adult... as an adult you are fully responsible for your actions... Time to start acting it. And this is as good a time to start as there is.

Aug 22, 2012, 08:23 AM
    SO...you don't think your parents will find out eventually if you are pregnant?........You get pretty big by the sixth month....and right after the ninth month you have this little tiny human that will be attached to you for life.

You are 20...you are an adult...as an adult you are fully responsible for your actions....Time to start acting it. And this is as good a time to start as there is.
    If I am pregnant then I'm not keeping the baby, I have already had the conversation with my boyfriend and he supports my decision. I know the psychological stress a termination can cause but it wouldn't be fair to bring a child into my situation. I know not everyone will agree
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 08:28 AM
    Still doesn't explain the need to sneek around like a 10 year old that snuck and extra cupcake for later...

Put it in your purse... go home... get up in the AM and use it. Its not a huge deal. And if they see you, then what is the big deal... you are 20 after all.

Aug 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Still doesn't explain the need to sneek around like a 10 year old that snuck and extra cupcake for later....

Put it in your purse....go home....get up in the AM and use it. Its not a huge deal. And if they see you, then what is the big deal...you are 20 after all.
    Because my parents would murder me, I don't have a close relationship with either of them, I never have and my mum is against terminations. It would disappoint them, and be to honest I'm disappointed in myself that I'm in this situation. I'm not stupid, I know the risks but I'm behaving like an ostrich
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Because my parents would murder me, I don't have a close relationship with either of them, I never have and my mum is against terminations. It would disappoint them, and be to honest I'm disappointed in myself that I'm in this situation. I'm not stupid, I know the risks but I'm behaving like an ostrich
    Listen... you have to start sometime... this is as good a time as any.

Aug 22, 2012, 08:42 AM
    Listen...you have to start sometime....this is as good a time as any.
    Not when I'm spending over £20,000 on an education. I do appreciate your advice, I've convinced myself I'm not pregnant, not a good idea but I'm hoping to try to stop myself from panicking
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
    I'm pretty sure your parents have a clue something is going on... just not that.

Be it the fancy underwear... or other things, We've seen it all before... and the more you try to hide something... the more you call attention to the fact you are trying to hide something.

Its your choice... I highly doubt they think you are the same pure child they used to tuck in 10 years ago. Meaning they are likely sure you are already active.

Besiides... with all your studies... you have time to create new stresses like for taking this test ALONE in the Loo in th emorning? THey odds of them finding it are very low. Take it home do it in the am... put it back in your purse to dispose of at school.

Aug 22, 2012, 08:54 AM
    I'm pretty sure your parents have a clue something is going on....just not that.

Be it the fancy underwear....or other things, We've seen it all before....and the more you try to hide something...the more you call attention to the fact you are trying to hide something.

Its your choice....I highly doubt they think you are the same pure child they used to tuck in 10 years ago. Meaning they are likely sure you are already active.

Besiides...with all your studies...you have time to create new stresses like for taking this test ALONE in the Loo in th emorning? THey odds of them finding it are very low. Take it home do it in the am...put it back in your purse to dispose of at school.
    It's the summer holidays and I'm living back at home so there is no easy way to dispose of it
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
    It's the summer holidays and I'm living back at home so there is no easy way to dispose of it
    You never leave the house... there is not trash container anywhere outside... at a store nearby? Even if you toss it along the road with all the other trash that's there... you have the same disposal issue if you do it at night as you do in the morning.

Aug 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
    You never leave the house....there is not trash container anywhere outside...at a store nearby? Even if you toss it along the road with all the other trash thats there....you have the same disposal issue if you do it at night as you do in the morning.
    I was planning to take the test tomorrow evening when I finish work at a shopping centre, meaning before I go home
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
    Well, we presented you options... and explained why its got to be in the AM... if you need to know, you have to do it the right way.

Aug 22, 2012, 09:22 AM
    Well, we presented you options....and explained why its got to be in the AM.....if you need to know, you have to do it the right way.
    I've read somewhere else that it can be done in the evening although it is recommended in the morning... And I may not express it but I am grateful for your input, I'm just in a state of denial

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy scare or ectopic pregnancy? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was late on my period for 3 weeks this month, and took 5 pregnancy test confirming I was pregnant. But yesterday I got my period and bleed heavily and tntil today I am still bleeding, but I happen to take another test confirming that I am still pregnant. Can you help me?

Pregnancy Scare [ 2 Answers ]

I got on my last period on December 24, 2011. I have a 32 day cycle. I was supposed to get on by January 25th. I did have unprotected sex around my ovulation, and I have took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. Could I be pregnant?

Pregnancy scare [ 4 Answers ]

If me and my mate had sex 4 days before my cycle and sperm got inside of me and I still have not started my cycle is there a chance of pregnancy

Pregnancy scare . [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I had my period oct18 till the 22nd 2 weeks later on nov3 I had unprotected sex I was suppose to get my period 2 weeks later but instead 10 days after unprotected sex I started to bleed not a lot but began bleeding for 5 days. It wasn't like my normal period but I still had it and on the 18...

Pregnancy scare [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to be 20 weeks pregnant and not know?:confused:

View more questions Search