Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshinex0xx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 07:04 PM
    How do I tell my daughter her dad is not her dad
    I am a young Mom, and I have three children. None of them have the same father (please don't judge, I'm aware how bad this sounds) My oldest daughter doesn't know that her and her sister don't share the same dad. She is 5. My middle daughter is 3 and my youngest is 2. I married the father of my youngest child. We recently saw a doctor and he was asking about the 'family tree' and I had to explain that my oldest daughter has a different father but she doesn't know, and he said that the younger they are, the better it is to tell them, but I'm conflicted. I'm not sure if 5 is old enough to understand the situation, or if this will cause problems in her social life, or her self esteem... she's a very VERY emotional, sensitive little girl, and her bio dad isn't someone that I would openly agree to being part of her life, but I feel if I wait until she's older that she may resent me for not telling her sooner which could cause problems in her teen years. How/when do I tell her and how do I avoid conflict and self-esteem issues for her?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
    I subscribe to the general child-rearing notion that you do what makes you feel most comfortable and that which intuitively feels best for you and your child, most of the time. And this would be one of those times. I don't know where your doctor gets his theories from. It seems to me that a 5 year old will just get all confused about your husband. I'd wait as long as you want! I don't think it's when you say it, but how you say it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
    Why has she always not had a photo of her dad and told that is her daddy ?

If not 5 when, do they have different last names ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter is receiving dissability beniftis from dad. Dad owes arearages is the ss [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has just starting receiving ss disability benefits off her father.. her father owes arearages. Does the dissability benefit she receives takes get deducted from what he owes.

How to show my dad as my newly immigated dad as my dependent for insurance purposes [ 1 Answers ]

How to show my dad who is new lawful immigrant and will get a green card as my dependent for health insurance and tax purposes

My son has a dad and now the biological dad came out of da blue and wants a dna test? [ 5 Answers ]

When I was five months pregnant my sons dad abandoned me and started denying my son, I started dating someone else who didn't care that I was pregnant he still chose to love me and be with me, he even had a few words with the loser when I was eight months pregnant and needed things for the baby...

Dad don't want daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have been trying to figure this out for 2 years now and have not got no were.my daughter is a 9 year old beautiful smart and loving person.I just do not understand how here dad could not want her after all that time and now wants to give up his rights to her and I do not even know were to...

View more questions Search