Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
    An alternative to AA?
    As some of you may be aware I am currently awaiting my OWI hearing. I am alos in the military. I have recently talked with my Plt. Sgt who gave me the heads up that AA will most likely be aprt of my military punishment under the UCMJ.

My question is this. Where I live, AA is geared towards religion and the 12 steps being about God helping us stay sober, blah blah blah. I am Agnostic and do not want to participate in something like this if it will be of religious intent.

Is there an alternative to AA? I want to present an alternative to my Plt.Sgt and see if that will be accepted.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    As some of you may be aware I am currently awaiting my OWI hearing. I am alos in the military. I have recently talked with my Plt. Sgt who gave me the heads up that AA will most likely be aprt of my military punishment under the UCMJ.

My question is this. Where I live, AA is geared towards religion and the 12 steps being about God helping us stay sober, blah blah blah. I am Agnostic and do not want to participate in something like this if it will be of religious intent.

Is there an alternative to AA? I want to present an alternative to my Plt.Sgt and see if that will be accepted.

Yes, all AA chapters are "God/religion" driven. I've seen people in my local Courts being given two options - AA or jail.

I am not aware of any Court-recognized alternatives.

AA isn't just about God - it's also about family, morals and responsibility.

If blah, blah, blah is not your style, call AA and ask them for any alternatives. Maybe one-on-one counselling would be acceptable to both the Military and the Court.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:29 PM
    I have known people that have gone to AA. It's really not an "in-your-face" approach as far as religion goes. I really can't imagine going there would affect you negatively.
    Networking Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:34 PM
    I appreciate both of your responses. I really do!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:37 PM
    AA isn't really about God, but about believing in a higher power. Whether that higher power to you is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, God, or that oak tree in your back yard, it doesn't matter to them.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2012, 04:38 PM
    Hello Rick:

The only thing religious about it is the serenity prayer. I'm an atheist, but I LOVE that payer...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference..

Beyond that, it's about drinking - NOT religion... However, each meeting might have a different slant.. If you don't like one, there's another one around the corner...

In my view, the 12 step program of AA is one of the BEST ways to control one's addiction - EVEN if you don't buy all the schtick..

excon
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:39 PM
    My bil has been in AA for years and considers himself his Higher Power.
    Networking Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    AA isn't really about God, but about believing in a higher power. Whether that higher power to you is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, God, or that oak tree in your back yard, it doesn't matter to them.
    Not sure if the steps vary by location but these are it for my local AA branch.
    I see a lot of God in there...

THE TWELVE STEPS
    1. We admitted we were
    Powerless over alcohol – that
    Our lives had become
    Unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power
    Greater than ourselves could
    Restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our
    Will and our lives over to the
    Care of God as we understood
    Him.

4. Made a searching and
    Fearless moral inventory of
    Ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to
    Ourselves, and to another
    Human being the exact nature
    Of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have
    God remove all these defects of
    Character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove
    Our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we
    Had harmed, and became
    Willing to make amends to them
    All.

9. Made direct amends to such
    People wherever possible,
    Except when to do so would
    Injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal
    Inventory and when we were
    Wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and
    Meditation to improve our
    Conscious contact with God as
    We understood Him, praying
    Only for the knowledge of His
    Will for us and the power to
    Carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual
    Awakening as the result of
    These steps, we tried to carry
    This message to alcoholics, and
    To practice these
    Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:47 PM
    I understand where you are coming from, but the use of the word "God" is universal. Many people do indeed believe in God, yet many do not. It's a term that many people can relate to.

Just because you are agnostic shouldn't preclude you from attending. I know of several Jewish people who attend, as well as atheists.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Hello again, Rick:

Let me say again. I'm an atheist... If it was about God, I WOULDN'T be promoting it.

excon
    Networking Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:49 PM
    Thanks for the insight. I have noticed that there are a ton of meetings each week and it looks like some are geared toward religion others toward coffee and chit chat. So maybe this won't be a bad thing. Even if I do not believe I am an acoholic (I know, I know) I think this will be good for me in more ways than just an alcohol standpoint.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
    Go to an open meeting to check it out.

No meetings are geared toward religion.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Most are geared toward coffee and chit chat... and smokes!
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
    I understand where you are coming from, but the use of the word "God" is universal. Many people do indeed believe in God, yet many do not. It's a term that many people can relate to.

Just because you are agnostic shouldn't preclude you from attending. I know of several Jewish people who attend, as well as atheists.

Jews believe in God -
    Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Jews believe in God -
    Yes, they do. I was just trying to make a point that AA is for everyone no matter their beliefs.
    Networking Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 05:30 PM
    ...and smokes!
    Have not smoked in 9 days :D. After the OWI, I got serious about changing a few things in my life. One of which was my habit of smoking. I decided, I wanted to change and so I did. For how long? We shall see. But I feel good right now...
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2012, 05:35 PM
    Thanks for the insight. I have noticed that there are a ton of meetings each week and it looks like some are geared toward religion others toward coffee and chit chat. So maybe this won't be a bad thing. Even if I do not believe I am an acoholic (I know, I know) I think this will be good for me in more ways than just an alcohol standpoint.
    Here is a program that should be acceptable to a government body as it is sanctioned by all of the requisite government agencies:

This group emphasizes that it is non-12-Step, and is recognized by American Academy of Family Physicians, as well as the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)* and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)*. (agencies of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

SMART Recovery.

No other program has the accessibility of AA. As you note, meetings everywhere. If your only reluctance is the religious character that is probably a non-starter.

AA also has a wide variety of meeting types, discussion, step meetings, mixed male and female, big book meetings, lecture and on down the line. If you don't like the social mix at one you can find one more to your liking in another area.

The accessibility and flexibility is very important to someone mandated to attendance.

At any rate there is another alternative to AA that should meet your requirements.
    Networking Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Here is a program that should be acceptable to a government body as it is sanctioned by all of the requisite government agencies:

This group emphasizes that it is non-12-Step, and is recognized by American Academy of Family Physicians, as well as the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)* and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)*. (agencies of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

SMART Recovery.

No other program has the accessibility of AA. As you note, meetings everywhere. If your only reluctance is the religious character that is probably a non-starter.

AA also has a wide variety of meeting types, discussion, step meetings, mixed male and female, big book meetings, lecture and on down the line. If you don't like the social mix at one you can find one more to your liking in another area.

The accessibility and flexibility is very important to someone mandated to attendance.

At any rate there is another alternative to AA that should meet your requirements.
    Thank You. I have decided that with the wide array of meetings in my area and the different environments/topics etc... I can find one I want to attend.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Thank You. I have decided that with the wide array of meetings in my area and the different environments/topics etc... I can find one I want to attend.

It seems to me - and we all know where I come from on this topic - that AA (or something similiar) based on one arrest is harsh. Maybe it's just me - but I'm surprised that the Marines are thinking in this direction.

The Court cuts people slack!

I did ask today and in my area the Court (not the Marines, of course) will agree to personal counselling three times -
    Networking Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 07:35 PM
    Yea. I guess my Company is going to crack down on me and set an example. I am the firs to break our new 1-1-3 rule that our Battallion signed a few months ago.

I have no problem with any punishment I get. I deserve it. I just didn't want to be forced into religion. By reading yours and others responses, I think I jumped the gun on AA a little and am more than willing to give it a shot.

From what I've read, AA can be useful in more areas than just alcohol. I'm never too high N mighty to take a second look at my life. It should be interesting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for alternative to rice [ 6 Answers ]

Please help me I am trying to control my weight I eat a lot of rice but I have now started to eat couscous which I find is delicious tell me is it fattening or is it a good substitute for rice.

Alternative present value [ 5 Answers ]

Your rich godfather has offered you a choice of one of the three following alternatives: $10,000 now $2,000 a year for eight years or $24,000 at the end of eight years. Assuming you could earn 11 percent annually, which alternative should you choose? If you could earn 12 percent annually, would you...

Alternative Transportation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was arrested for OWI 2nd offense in the state of Iowa. While I am fighting the charge, my refusal to submit to Breathalyzer will probably cost me my license for 2 years. Because I am planning for the worse about not having a car my mind has begun thinking about creative / alternative...

Alternative medicine [ 1 Answers ]

Does rhumatol work in releiving symptoms of arthitis

View more questions Search