Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobsleder Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes, all AA chapters are "God/religion" driven. I've seen people in my local Courts being given two options - AA or jail.

I am not aware of any Court-recognized alternatives.

AA isn't just about God - it's also about family, morals and responsibility.

If blah, blah, blah is not your style, call AA and ask them for any alternatives. Maybe one-on-one counselling would be acceptable to both the Military and the Court.
    AA cannot be mandated by the courts in your country. It is considered a breach of your religious freedoms (forcing a religion down your throat). Maybe they can get away with it in the military. The two largest non-religious groups in the states are SOS (Secular Organization for Sobriety) and RR (Rational Recovery) . If you don't believe in Mr. Magican in the sky who will save you then AA may be entirely counter productive to you. Anyway, my sense is that you are not really really interested in quiting for the rest of your life, only for a while to get out of the mess you are in. In which case no program is going to be worth much.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsleder View Post
    AA cannot be mandated by the courts in your country. It is considered a breach of your religious freedoms (forcing a religion down your throat). Maybe they can get away with it in the military. The two largest non-religious groups in the states are SOS (Secular Organization for Sobriety) and RR (Rational Recovery) . If you dont believe in Mr. Magican in the sky who will save you then AA may be entirely counter productive to you. Anyways, my sense is that you are not really really interested in quiting for the rest of your life, only for a while to get out of the mess you are in. In which case no program is going to be worth much.
    Notwithstanding, AA is a regular and customary requirement of drug and other courts in the US. Recent figures from AA Central Office indicate that fully 1/3 of AA membership is now comprised of court mandated attendees.
    bobsleder Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Fair enough. I know that when forced memebership in AA has been challenged in the States, the higher courts have deemed AA to be a religion and therefor the accused could not be forced to attend. Sad state of affairs if the courts are still forcing people to go to AA. It's bad for AA, and bad for the person who is forced to go. "AA is not for those who need it, it is for those who want it."
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Fair enough. I know that when forced memebership in AA has been challenged in the States, the higher courts have deemed AA to be a religion and therefor the accused could not be forced to attend. Sad state of affairs if the courts are still forcing people to go to AA. It's bad for AA, and bad for the person who is forced to go. "AA is not for those who need it, it is for those who want it."
    Agreed. Dr Bob went to great lengths in researching the formation and operation of previous self-help support groups dating back to the Washingtonians of the 1840s prior to structuring AA. The fundamental design of the organization seems ill-suited to mandated attendance nor was such use contemplated by the founders.

Nonetheless, the reality is that in recent years AA has increasingly aligned with medical based treatment groups and then court programs. I was very surprised at the proportion of membership now attributed to court referral. History will pronounce the benefit or detriment of the practice but I should imagine Dr. Bob and Bill W would not have sanctioned the movement.

However, the benefit one derives from AA regardless of how introduced remains largely one of personal choice and perceived benefit. Take it or leave it. It's up to the individual. To some, even most, it's an encumbrance, an imposition and sentence. To a few it is a "God-send", so to speak.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 02:41 PM

Do you have a link or site for the Court challenges of AA? I cannot find anything of value.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Anyways, my sense is that you are not really really interested in quiting for the rest of your life, only for a while to get out of the mess you are in.
    I suppose you're right here. But, I will make the most of it when I go. I will not blow it off knowing that I will continue to drink later.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
    IT, I've had a few friends in AA. This is actually the first time that I've heard that it's religion based.

Bottom line, it's about helping you to quit drinking. Whenever you see the word God, replace it with word Dog and make it your own. The program works, and when it works God has nothing to do with it. It's all you.

I'm not religious either. I wouldn't hesitate when it came to this program. I think you'll be shocked to find that the majority of the people in AA don't believe in God. Those are the people you'll be interacting with. Those are the people that will get you through this program. Them, but most importantly you. God has nothing to do with it. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for alternative to rice [ 6 Answers ]

Please help me I am trying to control my weight I eat a lot of rice but I have now started to eat couscous which I find is delicious tell me is it fattening or is it a good substitute for rice.

Alternative present value [ 5 Answers ]

Your rich godfather has offered you a choice of one of the three following alternatives: $10,000 now $2,000 a year for eight years or $24,000 at the end of eight years. Assuming you could earn 11 percent annually, which alternative should you choose? If you could earn 12 percent annually, would you...

Alternative Transportation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was arrested for OWI 2nd offense in the state of Iowa. While I am fighting the charge, my refusal to submit to Breathalyzer will probably cost me my license for 2 years. Because I am planning for the worse about not having a car my mind has begun thinking about creative / alternative...

Alternative medicine [ 1 Answers ]

Does rhumatol work in releiving symptoms of arthitis

View more questions Search