Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashishhawking Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Acceleration of universe expansion
    Why is there acceleration in universe expansion?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
    Firstly, The universe is estimated to have started accelerating about 5 billion years ago, this is because matter was much closer together back then, and so gravitational forces were greater.

There is this stuff called Dark energy, this is theorised to be what it causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. But nobody knows what it is at the moment :)
    cruzen7 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashishhawking
    why is there acceleration in universe expansion?
    Same force from Big Bang still exists - universe less dense now - make sense? I can elaborate if need be.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Just like the theory of general relativity, and the theory of quantum mechanics, both of which we could not be where we are today without them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Expansion Of The Universe [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Nathanael Turner, I am 15 years old so my analogy may not be 'correct' but you get the general picture: My Question: 1)Will the universe carry on expanding for an infinate amount of time? OR 2)Will its mass eventually cause it to impload under its own gravitational...

Substituting derivative of acceleration for acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

Can the derivative of acceleration be subsituted for a in f=ma?

Hubble: The most amazing space photographs in the universe [ 7 Answers ]

I couldn't resist sharing this: Hubble telescope's top ten greatest space photographs Click the Gallery link. Awesome... just awesome.

The Universe [ 3 Answers ]

Is the Universe symmetrical? I know it's contantly expanding, but are all sides expanding at the same rate?

Laws of the Natural Universe [ 2 Answers ]

1. Law of Mechanical Repair: After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch or you'll have to pee. 2. Law of the Workshop: Any tool, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner. 3. Law of Probability: The probability of being watched is directly...

View more questions Search