Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dolphinist Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Can you receive child support if I am receiving ssi in California
    I'm a 44 yr old woman with a 15 yr old son now living with me fulltime and I am on SSI and SSA permanently and cannot work. My ex had 5 yrs to rear our son like a parent should and neglected him completely. He is now with me permanently only by discussion with his father. I asked for financial help as I receive $865 a month and that doesn't care for my needs so how can it pay for him too? I asked for $500 a month when he makes $8000 a month and he grinded me to $375. He is 46 and moved in a 29 yr old girl with 2 toddlers so he is having to pay for them now and once again neglecting responsibility. I cannot support us both on $1300. I don't have a car or a place of my own. So I need help and I think it's time his self absorbed father stepped up to the plate. What are my grounds? Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
    IF custody of the child was not done though the court, you do not have custody of him.

You will need to get custody though the court and child support ordered though the court

Aug 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Thank you. Do you know if I can get any assistance with the legal fees as I am disabled? I live in California and fully intend on seeking support.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinist View Post
    Thank you. Do you know if I can get any assistance with the legal fees as I am disabled? I live in California and fully intend on seeking support.
    If you qualify then they will waive some if not all of the fees involved. You will have to go through a custody hearing and at that time a determination of child support can glide through with it. You may wish to call the state and they will assist in the collection of child support. California has a fomula based program. You can review it online to get an idea of what you might expect. The program is called a dissomaster. You can Google it.

Aug 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    If you qualify then they will waive some if not all of the fees involved. You will have to go through a custody hearing and at that time a determination of child support can glide through with it. You may wish to call the state and they will assist in the collection of child support. California has a fomula based program. You can review it online to get an idea of what you might expect. The program is called a dissomaster. You can google it.
    Thank you for your advice and help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can receiving ssi affect your child support payments? [ 14 Answers ]

I am currently paying 500.00 a month for child support for my disable 16 years old daughter. Her mother is also receiving ssi every month for her also. The mother is now trying to take me back to court for an increase in child support. Can my child support payments be lowered now that I have...

Child on ssi dies, does his child receive benefits when born [ 1 Answers ]

My son was 16 and on ssi for a brain injury. He was killed in an accident and has a child on the way. Will his child receive any ssi benefits?

Can you receive ssi and child support in Pennsylvania? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a disabled daughter and I receive SSI for her. I was told by the child support division that I can not ask for child support because my daughter receives SSI!! Is that true?

Is Pennsylvania citizens exempt from paying child support if they receive ssi [ 1 Answers ]

Mother neglects my younger sister n brother, every month she gets her ssi benefits n use all the $ on he crack addiction, she returns home when she has no more $, my sister is n my physical custody and uve expedited the hearing for my brother, I wanted 2 know if I can receive some assistance w/ the...

Child Support for adult child receiving SSI [ 5 Answers ]

My divorce decree states that my child support continues until graduation or age 19, whichever comes first. My son had seizures when he was a baby and was on medication until age 10. After our divorce the ex managed to enable him to get SSI payments. He has recently turned 18 and I know she is...

View more questions Search