Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    okok1616 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Student loan statute of limitations
    I was wondering what the statute of limitations is for student loans in alberta?
    Can a creditor collect after that period? I also heard that after a certain time
    Period debts are wiped off your credit report. Is this true and if so how long till
    Your credit is cleared?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 08:40 AM
    There is a statute of limitations (SOL) on most debts but it varies depending on the type of debt and the locale.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Have you been making payments? A statute of limitations for when the debt is wiped off your credit begins on the date of your last payment and is usually wiped off your credit a few years later (6 or 7... I'm not sure exactly), so if you made a payment last month then this would not apply.

By making payments you agree to pay the debt in full, but if you declared bankruptcy the debt would disappear, a student loan 10 years old or more gets wiped clean with a bankruptcy, loans less than 10 years old do not go away after a bankruptcy

CanadaStudentDebt.ca
    ShadyJane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 11:53 AM
    I had one of these from 1992 and honestly a $50 cable bill was more hassle. First get a copy of your credit file and see when it was assigned, it will be on your credit file in Alberta 6 years past that date as long as you do nothing else. But if you make payments, and they update the file, then it's 6 years from last activity. Crappy to say but once a collection is there it's not in your best interests to pay the collection agency at all.

Unless it's a big loan, student loans are not typically sued for as they can be written off. Mine was with the Royal Bank and the only issue I faced was about 2 years ago when they sold it to a collection agency. Never did quite understand how that worked. Debt written off, yet sold to a collection agency.

Anyway, there are no laws in Canada that state you must talk to a collection agency and once the 6 years has past they cannot re report it. Also they must sue within 2 years of the debt unless collateral is provided. Since it's a student loan then they can't. Really the only thing it will affect in the future is if you ever apply for a student loan again. Gov. won't give you one.

Shady
    Financial Force
    murphy2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2013, 10:15 AM
    I consigned for a student loan for a co-worker. She has not made any payments since 2008. How long can Sallie Mae come after me. Is there a limit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on a judgment in alberta, canada

Statute of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, If one has several warrants that are all provincial what is the statue of limitation on them in Canada? If you out run the statue of limitations do your warrants than become void? Thank you:confused:

Statute of Limitations? [ 10 Answers ]

In the Summer of 1972 I worked as a waitress at one of the local cafes. There were 10 employees who worked there during that time. All was well until the beginning of November when we did not receive a paycheck. The owner said he had some rough spots but we would be paid. He said that in...

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and 10 years ago my father got into an accident at work which left him unable to work, he didn't know english and so he couldn't find another job, the insurance company didn't give us a penny for 5 years and so we were forced to go on welfare. I was about 11 years old...

Statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

How long till I can't get arested on an out of province warrant . I'm living in another province and I want to go home fer a visit but I have warrents and I want to know when the statute of limitations comes into effect

View more questions Search