Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    animaleyz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Water Heater Pilot Light turns off when gas valve is turned to on
    Upon some investigation with the problem with my water heater, at this point it sounds like a bad thermocouple. But the one characteristic of the problem I haven't found an answer to is I can get the pilot light on(if I wait several hours, I get a good strong blue flame. If I wait only a few minutes, it's a much weaker, but still blue flame), but as soon as the gas flows from the burner, the pilot goes out and everything shuts down.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 08:53 AM
    Does water heater have a sealed combustion chamber?
    Post make and model.
    animaleyz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 09:01 AM
    I don't believe it has a sealed combustion chamber, I have easy access to that. Rheemglas Fury

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a state select water heater gas valve have a pilot flame adjustment screw? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a state select water heater and I changed out my thermalcouple and replaced the gas valve. The pilot would not light. so now the pilot light does stay on but goes off once in awhile. There is no draft. It appears to go off at times after the main burner lites . It gets frustratiing. Any...

Water heater won't light, pilot is on, so is it the gas valve? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a maybe 9 year old AO Smith water heater, model number FGR 50 242. The pilot is burning, but the burner will not light. I cranked the temp up all the way and nothing. I scrubbed the thermocouple (ie the device that sticks into the pilot light) lightly with a wire brush (just for fun I guess,...

Gas wall heater pilot light goes out when I turn the valve from 'pilot' to 'on'. [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my gas wall heater pilot light go out when I turn the valve from 'pilot' to 'on'? The pilot lights and stays lit until I try to turn the valve. It's got a brand new thermocouple.

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Cannot relight gas water heater pilot light [ 2 Answers ]

After I light it, my gas water heater pilot light always goes out when I release the pilot light knob. This occurs regardless of how long I have been depressing the knob (usually several minutes) to keep the pilot light going after I have ignited it.

View more questions Search