Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnoopers Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Legal responsibilities as next of kin
    I have now after talking with many people realized that the chance on my mother-in-law being found incompetent are slim to none because she is aloud to make horrid decisions as long as she knows who she is and can fake her way through with a nod and a smile. I need to know if my husband being her next of kin will have to take care of what she leaves behind or if we can walk away and let the state or whoever deal with her issues and belongings and final expenses. I cannot let her bad decisions ruin what we are working so hard to build, we are finally starting to be OK financially and I will not let her take us back down by leaving us with her problems financial and otherwise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Children pay none of their parents bills and are not held liable.

He may have to go in and help settle probate or notify debtors she is dead and there is no money left.

When she dies, anything she owns would be sold to pay her debts, any debt left is just not paid. ( assuming she is not married or widowed)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Responsibilities of a step-mom [ 7 Answers ]

My fiancée and I have been together with my 12 year old daughter and our 6 month old son. Recently his 9 year old son decided to move in with us. My financee is a truck driver and is out of town a lot. His son is ADHD and a lot of work. Our baby was born pre-maturely and has a few medical...

Legal responsibilities [ 2 Answers ]

my friend, who's 17 left her house and now lives with us. my parents are going to take responsibility for her. what does that entail?

Landlord responsibilities [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: my landlord always wants the rent but fails to repair anything... the air conditioner blew up... the cabitents are falling apart... door frame was busted when I rented and he has failed to fix anything... can I hold his rent till damages that was there prior to me moving in has not been...

Florida Landlord Building Code Responsibilities [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter recently signed a lease for her first apartment. The lease states that the apartment will be accepted "as is". However, I feel there is a building code problem. The apartment is on the second floor, and there is a small deck/balcony - wood constructed. The deck suffers from major...

Ethical and Legal responsibilities: financial [ 0 Answers ]

Hey I have been given this question to answer can anyone help me Explain the ethical and legal responsibilities that a company should comply with in the preparation of financial reports. Why is it important that a company comply with theses responsibilities?

View more questions Search