Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolbuddy_umass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Social Security and medicare tax
    I got my H1b on 27th Jan 2006. Before that I worked for 6 months on my OPT. I don't see any social security or medicare tax deducted from my salary on W2 form. What should I do in this case? Is this the employee or employer responsibility to pay these taxes ? I am getting conflicting answer for this.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 12:21 PM
    You should NOT be paying Social Security and Medicare taxes while on OPT.

You SHOULD be paying once you start your H-1B visa. If you told your employer that you switched to H-1B visa and he failed to start withholding the tax, that is HIS problem, not yours.

The IRS position on this is clear: The EMPLOYER must pay the FICA taxes and withhold the employees' share from his salary. If the employer fails to do so, the IRS will hold the employer responsible for paying the tax. After 31 January 2007, the employer CANNOT LEGALLY do any back withholding of FICA taxes from the employee for tax year 2006. The employee can voluntarily agree to pay these taxes back to the employer (and get fired if he fails to agree), but the employer cannot go to court nor get help from the IRS to force the employee to pay these taxes if the employee does not agree to it.

If taxes are not being withheld in 2007, the employer can and should start backup withholding of FICA taxes retroactive to 1 January 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security and Medicare tax [ 10 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I came to US as a student. After I graduated from university, I've worked under H1b status from Oct. 15, 2004 to Feb. 12, 2006. However, on Feb. 18, 2006 I left US permanently, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be: 1. Am I eligible to claim...

Social Security and medicare tax [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Experts, My company agreed to pay me 55% of revenue the project when I given my project to them. The company deducting royalty fees, social security tax and medicare tax of employer contribution taken from 55% from the revenue. My offerletter doesn't say about this. I am holding h1 visa...

Withholding of social security and medicare tax [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax expert, Thank you for all your help! I understand that withholding scial security and medicare tax is employer's responsibility, but I remember my wife told me actually it was she who told her employer to do the exemption. Does this affect her tax report? Thanks

Social security and medicare tax exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Tax Expert, My wife came to the U.S. on Aug. 26 2000, she thought she could be exempted from social security and medicare tax until Aug. 26, 2005, is that correct? Thanks a lot

View more questions Search