Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sissy girl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
    How do I get the mortgage put in my name?
    My husband died in 2008, I have been the house in my name now, but the loan is still in my husbands name, how do I get the mortgage company to put the home loan in my name, so I can refinance the loan and lower my apr?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2012, 05:39 AM
    Just do the refinance. Since it will be a new loan, the new loan will be in your name.

Since the deed has been transferred to your name, you just need to show the bank a certified death certificate. Have you even talked to your bank about this?
    Magpie95 Posts: 97, Reputation: 14

Aug 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
    You should call your bank. Depending on the state the death certificate may not be enough. You might need to be the executor of the person's estate or will. It varies from state to state. If you are in a community property state, then you should be able to provide the death certificate and get a refinance. The refinance will put the loan in your name, and may or may not lower your interest rate... depends on your debt to income ratio, income, and credit score.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to not put spouses name on mortgage if married [ 5 Answers ]

I am married and would like to know if its legal to get a home loan in the state of Colorado and not put the spouse on it during marriage.

Can I back out of a life estate put on my mortgage? [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased my current home from my mother 6 years ago. My older brother put in the contract that as long as my mother is alive there will be a life estate put in the contract. She has been living in the house, mortgage, utility free. I now find it difficult to make payments on my mortgage as I had...

Should I put money in the mortgage or in the car credit [ 3 Answers ]

I have some money and want to know where is better to put it, in the mortgage or in the car debt? Thank you very much for your help.

View more questions Search