Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Mar 6, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Prairie West
    Why did newcomers come to settle the Prairie West?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Are you speaking in general terms of the Westward expansion? Or is Prairie West a specific place?

If you speaking of why settlers went west to seek their fortune, it was the promise of land, a homestead of their own, a chance to be free. Some people came from horrid conditions overseas and were seeking a home free from persecution.

The pioneer spirit that existed in the 19th century was born in part of a need to own land - that intangible urge that it is the soil of their blood and sweat and tears. Today is not so different from 1888 in that land remains one commodity that can't be created by mass production or any other method - it can only be divided and subdivided--with each parcel and plot becoming smaller, not larger. What awaited the emigrants from the east, they could only imagine. The stories that were related to them by explorers and missionaries, just back from the track west, were filled with images of vast , open landscapes, abundant game and pristine rivers and lakes. One can understand their longing for this type of life, for even then larger cities along the eastern seaboard were moving into the industrial age. The streets were crowded with itinerant workers and the mid-day skies were constantly blackened by coal smoke from numerous factories. This change in cities had occurred so rapidly--in many places within a few short years--our early settlers began to experience a nostalgia of sorts for the simpler life they had led before. But of course, nostalgia or not, it still came down to the excitement generated by two words, "Free Land"

Here are some sources for you to research:

Westward Expansion
    Westward Expansion History Resources
    Our America

Mar 6, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Are you speaking in general terms of the Westward expansion? Or is Prairie West a specific place?
    I don't know. I'm concerned with between 1870-1898.

Mar 6, 2007, 06:59 PM
    No, now that I think about it, It's a specific place.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:06 PM
    In Canada, there is an area called "Prairie West" Here is a resource on that:

Prairie West
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 6, 2007, 07:07 PM
    This is homework so what you need to do is post YOUR thoughts on why we went west and then maybe you will have earned our help-- Savage

Mar 6, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    this is homework so what you need to do is post YOUR thoughts on why we went west and then maybe you will have earned our help-- Savage
    What makes you so sure it's homework?

Mar 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
    What's a homesyead patent?
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Laughs - what else would this be? It is not everyday conversation, to be talking about the Prairie West region in Canada, of which Manitoba was included in.

Mar 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Laughs - what else would this be? It is not everyday conversation, to be talking about the Prairie West region in Canada, of which Manitoba was included in.

It's something to study...
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Homestead Patent is a mode of acquiring alienable and disposable lands of the public domain for agricultural purposes conditioned upon actual cultivation and residence.

Here is a site that can explain it and you can see some of the applications:

Western Land Grants (1870-1930) - ArchiviaNet - Library and Archives Canada

Mar 6, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Homestead Patent is a mode of acquiring alienable and disposable lands of the public domain for agricultural purposes conditioned upon actual cultivation and residence.
    What's alienable?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 6, 2007, 07:17 PM
    I am 50 years old and know every trick in the world that people will do to try and get someone else to do there work for them-- hell you did not even take the time to search homestead patent-- 30 seconds on wik and that would have been answered
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Alienable is being able to be taken up to space by aliens.

What do you think it is? Look that up in the dictionary. Definition of alienable - WordReference.com Dictionary

Mar 6, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    I am 50 years old and know every trick in the world that people will do to try and get someone else to do there work for them-- hell you did not even take the time to search homestead patent-- 30 seconds on wik and that would have been answered
    Ok, that's just plain wrong. I wanted to study. Next, I can easily get help online on a different website with my work. Also, what makes you so sure wikipedia is actually accurate and it's a good source for figuring out what a homestead patent is?
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Wikpedia is a very reliable source of information. VERY reliable. Also that little search engine called, "Google".

Mar 6, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Alienable is being able to be taken up to space by aliens.

What do you think it is? Look that up in the dictionary. Definition of alienable - WordReference.com Dictionary
    Ok, there is NOTHING in www.dictionary.reference.com that says it's being able to taken up to space by aliens.

Mar 6, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Wikpedia is a very reliable source of information. VERY reliable. Also that little search engine called, "Google".
    But someone could write something on Wikipedia or make some ridiculous changes. How do you know it's accurate?

Mar 6, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    Ok, there is NOTHING in www.dictionary.reference.com that says it's being able to taken up to space by aliens.
    Unless it was sarcasm...
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:25 PM
    I should apoligize for pulling your leg. But when you do not look things up for yourself... those things happen.

Alienable
    A adjective
    1 alienable

transferable to another owner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie about family traveling west [ 1 Answers ]

I was hoping that someone on here could tell me the name of a movie that I saw on TV in the 60's - 70's about a pioneer family traveling west on a wagon train. I believe that they were headed to Oregon. They had a son who fell in love with a young lady on the trail & if I remember correctly, they...

Channal you music/web/ north,east, south, west [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a web were you can lisen to R&B, hip-hop and watever. Secondly have you heard the video on channal you that goes something lyk this at the begging (north,east,south,west) and every one is wearing those t-shirts that say what side there on (e.g north side) and so on. :D I lyk that...

Anyone from golden west high school? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am from golden west high school and I was wondering if anyone here is from this high school. Just who ever is from golden west high school post here, or even people from any visalia schools.

Universities on east/west coasts [ 0 Answers ]

I am from the midwest... I was attending mizzou, decided I didn't like it, so I came back home. So here I am back home.. going to a jr. college, and getting ready to go back to a smaller university closer to home and relatively cheap.. decided though this is now what I want. I want to be out on...

View more questions Search