Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
    Bathroom receptacles
    TK - Stan:

I have been doing some studying on the 2011 code release and I ran into a question that the answer key indicated that I was incorrect, Can you imagine that, an Irishman making a mistake!

Anyway the question had to do with bathroom receptales. The question said that the bathroom receptacles branch circuit can feed other equipmenr or devices within the bathroom and that it can feed multiple bathroom receptacles.

According the 2011 Code, at least as I read it, bathroom receptacles cannot have any other outlets on the branch circuit. So the way I understand that restriction that basically the branch circuit to a bathroom receptacle is now an individual branch circuirt, with the exception of a branch circuit supplying other outlets within the samew bathroom.

The section of code was not highlightedso it is not a new change.

Prior to reading this I was under the impression that a 20 branch circuit could serve the receptacles in multiple bathrooms but not if it also serves other loads within a bathroom.
    Evolt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 01:20 PM
    The way I understand this code is that the lighting and bathroom receptacle can be fed from the same breaker only if it is one individual bathroom. If you have more than one bathroom, you can either have all your bathroom receptacles together with nothing else or have each individual bathroom on it's own breaker, then you can have the receptacle and lights together.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
    My bad!

I forgot to add the NEC citation. 2011, 210.11(C)(3).

More wiskey, I need more wiskey!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding two receptacles [ 5 Answers ]

I am working on an old house and would like to add two outlets in the kitchen. THe space has an attic above and a crawl space below. The breaker box is next to kitchen in closed in porch. An electricial told me I could add two more without a problem to breaker box but still acts like it is nearly...

Receptacles [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace outlets with three prong outlets , but only have two wire supply , do I have to replace wire in walls with three wire romex, or is there an easier way

Gfci receptacles [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to install two GfCI Breakers on 3 Wire circuit with a shared neutral. I need to protect the normal receptacles downstream from the GFCI breakers

All receptacles quit working, & bathroom switch, changed breaker, still no power. [ 2 Answers ]

We were vacuuming master bedroom, and all of sudden all the receptacles went out, bathroom also and light switch. I got my tester, checked receptacles and get low light when bathroom switch is on, and when I turn the bathroom switch to off the tester shows I have no power to receptacles. I...

Backwire receptacles [ 9 Answers ]

Anybody know if it's possible to get electrical receptacles for a 20 amp circuit that are backwired to accept 20 gauge wire? All I ever see is 15 amp size. They are so simple and quick. I want to add a new line and outlets in the kitchen so we can use the coffeemaker, microwave and toaster all at...

View more questions Search