Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JDCO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 11:39 AM
    Creatinine as it relates to ETG
    I am under probation for an alcohol offense and am required to submit UA's. As I neared termination I was informed that I had submitted a diluted ETG and that if I did so again my probation would be extended. I asked if this had happened before and I was informed that it had. I now have a court date befpre the judge with a list of 4 incidents in which the sample was diluted-3 of which occurred before I had been made aware of the issue, the final incident occurring after. I do not know what caused this and the creatinine levels for the 4 dilutes are listed as: 9.8, 14.9, 6.9 and 17.1 mg/dl

I run a lot and consume quite a bit of water, but I do not understand the test and the significance of the creatinine levels

Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCO View Post
    I am under probation for an alcohol offense and am required to submit UA's. As I neared termination I was informed that I had submitted a diluted ETG and that if I did so again my probation would be extended. I asked if this had happened before and I was informed that it had. I now have a court date befpre the judge with a list of 4 incidents in which the sample was diluted-3 of which occurred before I had been made aware of the issue, the final incident occurring after. I do not know what caused this and the creatinine levels for the 4 dilutes are listed as: 9.8, 14.9, 6.9 and 17.1 mg/dl

I run a lot and consume quite a bit of water, but I do not understand the test and the significance of the creatinine levels

Thanks
    "Creatinine: In general, creatinine is a metabolic byproduct of muscle metabolism which normally appears in urine in relatively constant quantities over each 24 hour period. Therefore, urine creatinine can be used both as a marker to specifically identify a specimen as urine, and as an indicator of urine water content (dilution). "Normal" random urine specimens will generally have urine creatinine levels of greater than 20 mg/dL, while specimens with creatinine levels between 10 and 20 mg/dL may be due to increased liquid consumption, dietary habits, or liquid ingestion preferences. Urine specimens with creatinine levels between 2 and 10 mg/dL are usually a result of ingestion of large volumes of water (or other liquid), termed short term water loading. This is a very common practice when attempting to dilute a urine so that any drugs in the urine will be diluted below analytical testing cutoff levels. Urine creatinine levels below 2.0 mg/dL are usually a result of "dipping", the direct addition of a liquid to the urine specimen. Creatinine levels of 0.0 mg/dL indicate the specimen is not consistent with human urine.

Urine specimens become dilute as a result of the short term consumption of large amounts of a liquid due to an unknown stimulus such as a response to heat or exercise, herbal flushes, prescription diuretics, intentional dilution, or pathological situations such as diabetes insipidus. The dilution effect from consuming increased volumes of liquid can last from 2 - 5 hours. Therefore, the increased consumption of liquid would have to take place between 2 - 5 hours prior to the collection of the urine specimens." Redwood Toxicology Laboratory | Specimen Collection | Specimen Tampering
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
    THe drinking large ammounts of water is what causes this (well in excess of what's needed for proper hydration)... in the misunderstanding of more pee, less booz will be detected in it... but as you see, they know when people try to cheat the test.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    THe drinking large ammounts of water is what causes this (well in excess of whats needed for proper hydration)....in the misunderstanding of more pee, less booz will be detected in it....but as you see, they know when people try to cheat the test.

Right. Either it's a deliberate attempt to dilute urine OR the OP is diabetic OR the OP has high blood pressure.

I lived through the creatinine levels with my late husband - this is one of the first signs of irreversible kidney damage.
    JDCO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
    I don't have high BP and I am currently w/o insurance-so seeing a physician is not really an option. These tests are obviously random and I am not drinking alcohol-it sounds like you are suggesting that the creatinine levels indicate a much greater concern. Are there other indicators I should be noticing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

While expressing EtG as a ratio to creatinine is not affected by dilution. [ 1 Answers ]

"while expressing EtG as a ratio to creatinine is not affected by dilution. " I am also confused about this statement. I below you stated the persons drinking incident was long enough before the test to not be detected and he shouldn't have to worry about diluting. My question is what if the...

Ques. 5: The following details relates to the two machines X and Y: [ 1 Answers ]

Ques. 5: The following details relates to the two machines X and Y: Machine X Machine Y Cost Estimated Life Estimated salvage value Working Capital required in the beginning Rs. 56,125 Rs.56,125 5 years 5 years Rs. 3,000 Rs. 3,000 Rs.10,000 Rs. 20,000

Bases points as it relates to rates [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to explain "base points" to someone that is not money savey?

Everything relates to sex [ 9 Answers ]

my boyfriend manages to relate absolutely everything to sex. I know he has a really high sex drive and gets horny all the time and easily gets sexually frustrated. This worried me in case he was purely with me for sex, so I made him wait, we have just started getting a bit more physical with the...

Equation that relates x and why [ 1 Answers ]

x=7,y=35

View more questions Search