Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    welcome2myworld Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 11:21 AM
    Central A/C comes on... Street Light goes OFF! Is that on my meter?
    I moved in 2 1/2 years ago in this house... the street light has gone off many many many times but after 15 seconds slowly comes back on with the dusk to dawn eye.. and I thought, "Not my problem" it's the county, state, electric corp... I was sitting in my garage lazily staring out to the street one night, as my central a/c unit at my garage entry door came on, the street light simultaniously went out. Since I have seen it off a 1000 or more times the past few years I had never linked it to my a/c coming on till last week. I live in Florida and a/c is like breathing LOL it just does it's thing.
    I have purposely turned up temp to have someone turn it down as I was outside with my video running and taped it happening last night. Called electric corp, sending someone out Monday. Someone from the E.C. called me and ask what the trouble was and seem puzzled as to why it was doing it too.
    I would like to know peoples thoughts and if I can know if it is on my meter somehow, because they would probably not admit I was paying for the street light usage all this time... and no my inside lights do not dim when a/c kicks on. Just that freakystreet light. Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
    There is no logical way that your A/C should have any effect on a street light that is owned by the county, unless you or a previous owner agreed to such a connection.

I would call the AHJ (County Electrical Inspectors) and ask that they get someone out to check the problem out.

Also, is there a wire from your home to the light pole? As a matter of fact, are there any wires connected to the pole?
    welcome2myworld Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Yes that utility owned pole with the street light has the only wires to my meter,
    No it isn't logical lol that is why 2 electrician friends (out of town, can't inspect) and the rep from the Electric co. are confused, I called them this morning and since its Friday repair/inspection not coming till Monday. I have it on video with sound and witnessed it 4 times in a row once I realized the timing of it all. After almost 3 years of the light on/off/on/off.
    Thank you.
    I did have one friend suggest that my 50 amp breaker box at my outside unit is somehow direct wired to the pole?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2012, 03:12 AM
    The AC unit has a high current draw to start. This high current can affect the voltage drop at a loose connection.

The utility light is connected to the same utility system the serves your home.

The loose connection is on the utility side, and is common with both your service and the utility light, and your AC starting causes the voltage to drop below the tolerance the light can handle.

The utility company should know this, and realize they have a loose connection. Have them check and find this bad connection, as it will affect your home, also.
    Cyclohexane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2012, 07:29 PM
    I am having the same problem. My A/C is making a very loud clang when it starts, and now the light at my street turns off. Happens all the time now.

Not sure what to do...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2012, 04:10 AM
    Hire an electrician to check the power, and an HVAC tech to check the AC.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 10:12 AM
    The clang is the compressor motor and pump hitting the side of the compressor enclosure.
    What you see when you look at the compressor is not the motor and pump, it is the "can". The actual motor is inside and is suspended on springs. If a spring breaks the motor or pump can bang against the side of the "can" when it starts or stops..

Compressor may quit tomorrow or may run for years. One of mine has been "clanging" for about 10 years.

As far as the street light, I think TK addressed that in a previous post.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Sep 16, 2012, 07:21 AM
    In this area all street lights are 277V or 480V, they would be supplied through a separate transformer (inductive coupling only to utility) than the one to your residence. The only possible (legal anyway) common connection would then be the ground path, but since the transformer secondary side neutral needs a ground reference, that neutral is grounded also. It is possible this neutral's ground has failed or is not solid. Sounds wacky but the transformer neutral may be looking for a ground path through your A/C, or more properly stated a path to a lower potential.

Strange but electricity follows the path of least resistance, always trying to get to lowest potential (ground)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2012, 07:28 AM
    An easy check if it is on the house electric, turn your main house breaker off and if it goes off, it is, if it stays on it is not.

Since it is in line from the house, if you have a high draw, this can effect the power to the light, so perhaps a bad or low working transformer in the area.

Now of course you owning the street light is not uncommon, over 50 plus years I have lived in most places than I can list. In several I had to pay for the street light in front of my home .
    If I did not, it was turned off, or not turned on. In some places I had a extra street light charge added after the city installed lights in our area.

In some places I had to even order and pay for the street light to be installed to have one in front of my house.

So any and all things are possible.
    Cyclohexane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
    Centerpoint came by the house today and opened the pedestal in my back yard. They tightened some the bushings and so far, the light is not turning off when A/C kicks on (loose connection). The also checked the voltage at my breaker and said all is normal.

I was also assured that I am not paying for the light. It would have to run through my breaker in house, which it is not.

However, the A/C is still banging loud and my A/C man assures me everything is setup correctly. We have replaced the capacitors and fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central heating problem or water meter problem? [ 3 Answers ]

We live in an apartment building and the individual water usage is measured by private water meters (mechanical). When the apartment was built, 2 years ago, some of the meters had been fitted the wrong way (in reverse). Yesterday a plumber attended to rectify 3 meters. My 2 neighbours meters were...

How to Test Water Line From Meter to Street Valve [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to test the water line from the meter to the street valve to see if there's a leak? I know you can test gas lines by putting a pressure test on them, can you do the same with the water line?

Popping from central furnace when it tries to light [ 2 Answers ]

My Armstrong Ultra 80 SX central furnace (gas powered and over 10 years old) makes loud popping sounds and appears to have a hard time lighting up occasionally. Does this require the replacement of a part?

View more questions Search