Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LarryWomack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 10:26 AM
    How to find a single copper water pipe in a group of copper pipes.
    Hi. I just bought a house with two apartments in a 2 story home. Apartment 1 is downstairs and apartment 2 is upstairs. I have separate water meters for each. I have separate water heaters for each. The water heaters and meters are in the basement.
    I just found out that somewhere in the house the water systems are connected. Example. Water meter of apt 1 turns when apt 2 has turned on the water, or apt 2 gets hot water even though apt 2 hot water is off.
    Anyway, they are mixed up. I have traced all lines in the basement. They are all correct, so the system must be connected on the first or second floor somewhere. Here is my problem. There are 4 copper lines going up from the basement and they come out in the ceiling of the downstairs apt. which is about 10 feet of where you cannot see them. The 4 lines are tightly clumped together. How can I identify which line is which? A friend said something that he heard you could connect a battery and a voltmeter but he did not know any specifics? How do the pros figure this out. I just want to know which line is which.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 10:51 AM
    A friend said something that he heard you could connect a battery and a voltmeter
    I would put any faith in that.

they come out in the ceiling of the downstairs apt. which is about 10 feet of where you cannot see them
    I am assuming you mean that you can see where the pipes pass to the upper apartment from a distance of about 10'. You said ceiling of first floor apt. Do you mean ceiling of basement?

First thing I would do is try to determine if the cross connection is in the hot or the cold or both. Then I would try to determine if it occurs at all places. Does Apt 1 get water when meter for Apt 1 is turned off? Does Apt 2 get water when meter for Apt 2 is turned off? To determine hot or cold close input valve to water heaters. Does what ever is happening, happen at all faucets or just, say the kitchen or just the bath?

Know these things will help narrow the search for the cross connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attaching copper faucet to copper pipe attached to plastic pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I have plastic piping in the house which leads outside and then copper piping is outside with a facet attached.. I need to change the facet with torch and solder... if I heat the old one to remove with this heat travel down the copper pipe through the wall and affect the plastic pipe.. I am worried...

Hissing sound in copper water pipes [ 8 Answers ]

We noticed a constant load noise in the upstairs shower that sounds like water running a few days ago. We assumed leak and tore into the wall, no water anywhere. Did the meter test, not using any extra water. My father suggested turning the water heater off and the noise stopped. We are unable...

Copper water pipes deteriorating [ 2 Answers ]

My copper water pipes are deteriorating. The water is from a private municipal supply regulated by DEP. The water is aggressive with a low pH. Allegedly, DEP is not urgently granting a solution to rectify the pH. As with a water heaters' sacrficial anode which reverses the polarity of the water...

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

View more questions Search