Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwoodsy63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
    I am on mortgage but not deed; house recently sold
    My ex-husband and I agreed in our divorce agreement that I would stay on the mortgage but not the deed until the house sells or 2 years from the dage of the agreement.

I just found out on line that the house sold on July 9. Is he required to notify me of the sale? I have been emailing him but he will not respond. How do I find out if I am no longer attached to that mortgage?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
    If it sold. As the lienholder... the mortgage debt would have been satified before transferring to the new owners and their mortgage company.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoodsy63 View Post
    My ex-husband and I agreed in our divorce agreement that I would stay on the mortgage but not the deed until the house sells or 2 years from the dage of the agreement.

I just found out on line that the house sold on July 9. Is he required to notify me of the sale? I have been emailing him but he will not respond. How do I find out if I am no longer attached to that morgage?

Call the mortgage company and ask. It would seem that if the house sold the mortgage was paid off.

Were you to receive money from the sale?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 07:41 AM
    Why would you stay on the loan, but not on the deed, that makes no sense. Since it gave you no rights to the house what so ever.

But he had no obligation to tell you anything, and had it not sold or pay for it, you would have been stuck paying for a house you had no legal rights to.

But just be glad the house sold, you can verify with the lender that the note was satisfied, Also can check that the deed was transferred
    Magpie95 Posts: 97, Reputation: 14

Aug 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
    Unfortunately the worst scenario is to not be on the deed but be on the mortgage. This means you are liable for the debt of the loan but do not own the property. So, your husband can sell the property without your knowledge or notifing you. Had you been on the deed, they would have required you to sign off the deed in order to deed over to the new owners.

I agree with Fr Chuck, be glad it sold and you aren't liable for a loan of a house you don't own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NY SAHM should I be on house deed only or both mortgage and deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are trying to determine the advantages/ disadvantages of me being on deed and not mortgage in state of NY. My fear is that should something ever happen to him what rights do I have to the home? Would the loan as is be transferred to me or would I have to get a new loan in my name...

I recently got married and we sold my wife's house, are we subject to capital gains ta [ 2 Answers ]

I recently got married and we sold my wife's house, are we subject to capital gains taxes on it?

House, No Deed, No Mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I built a house in 2006 on heir property (his families land) he told me that we did not need a deed because the house is on heir property, however, I found out different and we are getting ready to separate and I need to get a deed so that I can at least get my half. He does not...

House sold, mortgage released, how can I still owe $ [ 3 Answers ]

I sold my house in January 2003 in a HUD and lender approved short sale. HUD is saying that I took out a loan with them in December 2001 for over $4000, and now I owe them the money plus interest and late fees. Here's some background about the "loan". When I fell behind in my mortgage, because I...

Deleting name of recently died spouse on house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently paased away after a about with cancer. I was told to have his name removed from our house deed, which we jointly owned. Was just wondering how to go about this, like who to contact or go to for this process. Thanks for your help and god bless.

View more questions Search