Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shardea dula Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Long jump and 200m and 400m
    This is my 2nd year doing track. I want know what are some ways to get faster like on your average speed. (meaning I want to try to get 30 on the 200m but my time I usually get 31 and 32, but I want to get better). I have another question what are some ways to eat right while during track season.

P.S. What are some proper ways meaning by form on the Long jump. Because I really need help on that. So anybody can help me or find website on this topic. Give me more information about AAU track:D :)
    sara Kersten-Murphy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Hi sharadua

there are many ways to improve your speed over the 100 meters or 200m sprints. Essentially if you improve your 100m time by 1 second for example you could expect to improve your 200m time by 2 seconds with the right training

One way that worked well for me allowing me to better my 100m time by 1.3 sec and 200m time by 2 sec was to intensify with weight training (do squats, dead-lifts and bench press: 2x8-12 for start as, and try to improve your weights), develop your primary acceleration on the track by sprinting 30 meters first before running out in distance.

This can be done by doing quality repetitions maybe 2X3 lots of 30 meter sprints with at least 4 min rest between reps and 10 minutes between sets. As you get stronger with your weights you will get faster at your acceleration- get some one to time your 30m sprints you should expect improvements in 8 weeks time after doing both track and weight training on the same day, but training done every second day.

After 8 weeks you could start going out in distance try 40m- 60m (always do track first) you could drop your repetitions on your exercises so maybe 2x6 reps or 2x 5 reps on squats dead-lifts and bench press, but your weights should be constantly going up

on alternate days when not doing track and weight work you could go for a light jog for recovery, or do interval runs like 10 x100 meters, but must be done at 70 % of your best 100m time or 200m time respectively (ie 5 x200 meters done at 70% of your best 200m time of 30 sec is 42 seconds. So your 10x100m may be done at 20 seconds each or 70% of your best 100m time.

I hope this helps for more information have a look at charliefrancis.com (ben johnsons coach) join the forum its free it has helped me heaps

regards Sara

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please Help Me With My Vertical Jump [ 10 Answers ]

OK so here's how it goes. I'm a 13 year old male. I'm 5' 7" tall. I have a 19" vertical jump. I play basketball and do track (highjumping, longjump , sprints). My goal is to at very least touch the rim by next basketball season. I know I am capable of doing this so I was just wondering...

How can I jump higher? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I jump higher? Are high leapers born or made? Is it too late for me to become a pretty good player now that I'm 23? Am I starting training too late?

Higher Vertical Jump [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to increse my vertical leap. I'm 13 and I'm only 5'0. I'm pretty good for my height. Well, anyway, I think it would really help out my game if I could grab more boards and play better defense. How can I increase my leap?

Portable Jump Starter doesn't charge flat battery? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the Yellow Portable Jump Starter with Air Compressor, The problem is I have charged it fully and it always stays at 13 on the meter Which is in the green which is supposed to be good. When my cars battery goes flat it doesn't charge the battery, doesn't do anything, But it...

My dog won't jump down unassisted! [ 1 Answers ]

I have two small dogs, and they always jump up on the furniture. In the last couple of days, my Papillon has acted really strange about getting down from the sofa or the bed (both are only about a foot off the ground). She jumps up just fine, but when she wants to get down she stands at the end...

View more questions Search