Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SpeckAttack1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
    Skipping A Repeated Year
    I've just been retained by my middle school. I was supposed to be going on to high school for 9th grade, but I messed up really badly this year and they made me repeat the 8th grade. I was wondering if there was any way possible for me skip the repeated 8th grade year and move on to 9th, which is where I'm supposed to be. I figured just getting all A's in the repeated year would show them that I don't need to be retained, but I don't know. There could be more to it than that. Any suggestions or information on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
    We certainly don't know. Have your mom call the school to see what they say about that idea.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 03:42 PM
    Your parents should have been notified and even had to attend a meeting to retain you and make you repeat a grade. Have your parents contact the school, as Wondergirl said, to find out what can be done. I imagine if you had attended summer school (if it was offered), you could have made up some of the classes you did poorly in. You need to pass your classes to move on. Are you in the US? If so, how did you do on your end of year state testing?

Aug 16, 2012, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    We certainly don't know. Have your mom call the school to see what they say about that idea.
    Okay. I'll ask my mom to call the school today and see what can be done about it.

Aug 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Your parents should have been notified and even had to attend a meeting to retain you and make you repeat a grade. Have your parents contact the school, as Wondergirl said, to find out what can be done. I imagine if you had attended summer school (if it was offered), you could have made up some of the classes you did poorly in. You need to pass your classes to move on. Are you in the US? If so, how did you do on your end of year state testing?
    My mother was notified about the school retaining me this year, but she was not asked to attend a meeting, as far as I know. Unfortunately the school has no summer program for me to attend (I asked them). And yes, I am in the US, and I haven't been shown my scores on the end of the year state testing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
    Could you have attended summer school?

And if you got terrible grades last year, why do you think you could get mostly A's this year?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
    The only way you will even be given a chance to advance is to see what your end of year state testing scores are. I know many states cannot afford to provide summer school at this time, so if your scores are almost perfect, then you may still have to make up the classes you did not pass. Your district may have some way for you to make up those classes. Did you put forth good effort on the end of year tests?
    TheSpeckAttack1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2013, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Could you have attended summer school?

And if you got terrible grades last year, why do you think you could get mostly A's this year?
    Wow... I can't believe I forgot to check on my question and I'm just now revisiting it... However, thank you for your reply nonetheless.

Actually, my middle school did not have a summer school program that I could attend at the time, so inevitably I had to repeat the year (sort of). I wasn't retained because of an inability to do the work, because I could (I've always been told that I was a bright student), but it was more so because I was lacking severely in effort, being that I never wanted to do the work I was given and procrastinated constantly. This was a horrible habit that was quickly dropped as soon as the beginning of my second eighth grade year had begun, and all assignments were completed promptly. I easily retained an A everage in all of my classes, which lead to my school deciding that me retained for a full year wasn't necessary.

My principle discussed my early graduation with the board of education and the principle of the high school I would be attending, and it was agreed that if I scored high enough on our state's PLAN test (a test which is given to 8th grade students before the enter high school that serves as a practice version of the ACT, which is given to students in high school) that I could advance to 9th grade. I scored outstandingly on the test, with all of my scores in every subject (language, reading, math, science) were above the benchmark (the score that all students should attempt to reach), so they agreed to let me go.

After only 3 months of repeating the 8th grade I was allowed to move on to 9th and be with my original class again in high school :D I didn't receive any credits for the first trimester of high school since I wasn't present for it, as I was still in middle school, though I was able to make up for these lost credits in summer school at the end of my freshmen year. Now, I'm a sophomore, I've got all my credits, and I'm doing just fine.

TL;DR version: I changed up my attitude, did exceptionally well in school, got to skip my second 8th grade year after only 3 months of having to repeat it, went to high school and finished 9th grade, and now I'm a sophomore :D

Sep 21, 2013, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpeckAttack1 View Post
    Wow... I can't believe I forgot to check on my question and I'm just now revisiting it... However, thank you for your reply nonetheless.

Actually, my middle school did not have a summer school program that I could attend at the time, so inevitably I had to repeat the year (sort of). I wasn't retained because of an inability to do the work, because I could (I've always been told that I was a bright student), but it was more so due to the fact that I was lacking severly in effort, being that I never wanted to do the work I was given and procrastinated constantly. This was a horrible habit that was quickly dropped as soon as the beginning of my second eighth grade year had begun, and all assignments were completed promptly. I easily retained an A everage in all of my classes, which lead to my school deciding that me retained for a full year wasn't necessary.

My principle discussed my early graduation with the board of education and the principle of the high school I would be attending, and it was agreed that if I scored high enough on our state's PLAN test (a test which is given to 8th grade students before the enter high school that serves as a practice version of the ACT, which is given to students in high school) that I could advance to 9th grade. I scored outstandingly on the test, with all of my scores in every subject (language, reading, math, science) were above the benchmark (the score that all students should attempt to reach), so they agreed to let me go.

After only 3 months of repeating the 8th grade I was allowed to move on to 9th and be with my original class again in high school :D I didn't recieve any credits for the first trimester of high school since I wasn't present for it, as I was still in middle school, though I was able to make up for these lost credits in summer school at the end of my freshmen year. Now, I'm a sophomore, I've got all my credits, and I'm doing just fine.

TL;DR version: I changed up my attitude, did exceptionally well in school, got to skip my second 8th grade year after only 3 months of having to repeat it, went to high school and finished 9th grade, and now I'm a sophomore :D
    Forgot my password the account I originally asked this on so I just made a new one, by the way.

Sep 21, 2013, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    The only way you will even be given a chance to advance is to see what your end of year state testing scores are. I know many states cannot afford to provide summer school at this time, so if your scores are almost perfect, then you may still have to make up the classes you did not pass. Your district may have some way for you to make up those classes. Did you put forth good effort on the end of year tests?

Actually, my middle school did not have a summer school program that I could attend at the time, so inevitably I had to repeat the year (sort of). I wasn't retained because of an inability to do the work, because I could (I've always been told that I was a bright student), but it was more so because I was lacking severely in effort, being that I never wanted to do the work I was given and procrastinated constantly. This was a horrible habit that was quickly dropped as soon as the beginning of my second eighth grade year had begun, and all assignments were completed promptly. I easily retained an A everage in all of my classes, which lead to my school deciding that me retained for a full year wasn't necessary.

After only 3 months of repeating the 8th grade I was allowed to move on to 9th and be with my original class again in high school I didn't receive any credits for the first trimester of high school since I wasn't present for it, as I was still in middle school, though I was able to make up for these lost credits in summer school at the end of my freshmen year. Now, I'm a sophomore, I've got all my credits, and I'm doing just fine.

TL;DR version: I changed up my attitude, did exceptionally well in school, got to skip my second 8th grade year after only 3 months of having to repeat it, went to high school and finished 9th grade, and now I'm a sophomore

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repeated miscarriages [ 1 Answers ]

I had my first miscarriage when I was 14 weeks pregnant and didn't have a positive blood pregnancy test until that week. Unfortunetly, I had to have a D&C because I was so far along.The doctor suspected that I was pregnant with twins because of the excesssive conception matter that was in my...

A repeated nightmare [ 3 Answers ]

I keep having the same nightmare were I am in my bed and the bedroom door slams open and I am dragged by my feet down the stairs and into the hallway but I lose my voice and can't scream for help. This dreams keeps repeating but sometimes the start may be different such as I am in my room again and...

Seeing repeated numbers... [ 5 Answers ]

I do not know where to begin... a few months ago, I decided to meditate. I also changed my diet, removed myself from negativity (news, people, etc). My goal was to become more spiritually grounded with the Universe. In the midst of this transformation, many things leaves me dazed, confused and...

Need cause of repeated event [ 6 Answers ]

I travel often for month to six weeks at time, and when I return I find that my kitchen sink has flooded with some sludgy water at some point while I was away. This has happened a few times sometime one basin other times the opposite one and even both. I have had maintenance guys in to take care of...

Repeated periods [ 1 Answers ]

My periods ended just 6 days back n I am down again.is it normal to have repeated periods? Or is there some problem?

View more questions Search