Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moving2Fast Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Installing tailpiece into threaded tee.
    Hello everyone...

I am winding down on my complete bathroom renovation and am stumbling over something that I thought would be the easiest to deal with...

I have a 1950's house and an old cast iron wall-hung sink that I decided to keep. The drain pipes, however, needed to be updated. I purchased the same of everything-- 1 1/4 17 ga. J-bend and tailpiece. When removing the original tailpiece, I discovered that it was attached to a brass fitting with some sort of lead solder which was then attached to a threaded 1 1/2" tee (attached to the main waste pipes in the walls). It was a pain the the @$$ to remove the fitting, but it was all banged up and needed to come out. Now I'm left with a threaded 1 1/2" tee (main waste pipe) and a "straight" 1 1/4" new tailpiece. Is this a normal application by any means? How do I secure the tailpiece when it is not threaded? I feel like I'm missing something rediculously obvious.

THANKS!
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moving2Fast
    Hello everyone...

I am winding down on my complete bathroom renovation and am stumbling over something that I thought would be the easiest to deal with....

I have a 1950's house and an old cast iron wall-hung sink that I decided to keep. The drain pipes, however, needed to be updated. I purchased the same of everything-- 1 1/4 17 ga. J-bend and tailpiece. When removing the original tailpiece, I discovered that it was attached to a brass fitting with some sort of lead solder which was then attached to a threaded 1 1/2" tee (attached to the main waste pipes in the walls). It was a pain the the @$$ to remove the fitting, but it was all banged up and needed to come out. Now I'm left with a threaded 1 1/2" tee (main waste pipe) and a "straight" 1 1/4" new tailpiece. Is this a normal application by any means? How do I secure the tailpiece when it is not threaded? I feel like I'm missing something rediculously obvious.

THANKS!
    Get a threaded matching tailpiece to the lav drain and use a 1 1/4" female adapter on the 1 1/2 p-trap into the wall. Use ABS DWV if asthetics is not an issue on the p-trap assembly. Nm
    Moving2Fast Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 02:30 PM
    I haven't been able to find a matching tailpiece with the same size threads as those on the T. Most threaded tailpieces that I find are fine-threaded. Maybe I'll have to try another store. Thanks for your input!

P.S. I'm looking to stay with the chrome finish since it will be visible with the wall-hung sink.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 6, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moving2Fast
    I haven't been able to find a matching tailpiece with the same size threads as those on the T. Most threaded tailpieces that I find are fine-threaded. Maybe I'll have to try another store. Thanks for your input!

P.S. I'm looking to stay with the chrome finish since it will be visable with the wall-hung sink.

Forget the ABS piping then. You will need a complete chromed setup, but the 1 1/2" drain transition into the wall can cost more and will erode out over a period. Make sure the brass has at least 20 gauge wall so it lasts longer. Nm
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2007, 05:06 PM
    You mention an 1 1/2" tee. is the overflow built integrally in the lavatory or is there a separate pipe that is connected to that tee for the overflow?
    check to see if the threads are 1 1/2" pipe threads. [like galvanized or pvc]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper to cpvc threaded connections [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can I connect cpvc threaded pipe adapters directly to corresponding male or female threaded copper adapters, and, using suitable pipe dope, get good reliable joints? I know there are threaded copper-to-glue cpvc conversion connectors available, but I have on hand a number of copper and cpvc...

Distance for p-trap above floor and to first tee [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm a new home owner (or should I say owner of a really old pre-owned house). I'm looking to add a washing machine on the second floor in my pantry. I installed the dryer vent, the electrical, and have the rough plumbing pipes running down into the basement ( only the hot/cold water is...

Connecting PVC to Threaded Copper fitting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fitting in a wall which began leaking with mold developing on the wall board. When I took out the wall the culprit was a fitting between a female threaded copper fitting and a male PVC fitting in a hot water line. I initially took out the PVC fitting and fitted the joint with a new fitting...

Sweat verses threaded ball valves [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently working on a bathroom remodel project that involves running new copper supply lines to the faucet and toilet. I have completed a number of remodel projects that involve plumbing skills including a kitchen remodel and moving the location of the hot water heater. I am confident with...

Compression vs. Threaded shutoffs [ 3 Answers ]

How good in the long term are compression fit shut-off valves (for toilets and bathroom sinks) vs. good old threaded fittings for leaking? I have always used threaded fittings on 1/2" copper and wrenched on threaded 1/4 turn valves but in my new install am considering 1/2" compression for the 2...

View more questions Search