Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binanut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2003, 09:47 AM
    Ice and salt; endothermic reaction
    I know that Ice and salt undergo an endothermic reaction but I don't understand how. What is absorbing the heat? How is an endothermic reation occurring if and actual reaction is not? Salt and ice form a mixture.
    CommDweeb Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2003, 01:44 PM
    ice and salt; endothermic reaction
    Well, to start with there really isn't a chemical reaction similar to combustion going.

The ice is simply melting. This absorbs around 100 BTU's per pound of ice melted. What salt does is lower the melting point by partially neutralizing the ionic forces that allow water to freeze at such a high temperature. This lowers the melting point. If there were no ionic forces involved, water would freeze at a lower temperature than Dry Ice or CO2.

This lowering of melting temperature is reflected in the Fahrenheit scale. 0 degrees Fahrenheit is defined as the melting point of Ice in a saturated solution of NaCl or table salt. This is why you add salt to the ice in an Ice Cream Freezer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ice/Salt = FrostBite? [ 18 Answers ]

I understand that when you pour salt on your upper fore arm, then apply (with pressure) a common ice cube for period of 1-3 min frostbite will occur. The amount of salt and the length of time play key factors in the severity of the so called... Reaction. I guess my question is how do you treat the...

Which goes in the shaker with more holes - salt or pepper? [ 25 Answers ]

I had always thought this was a no-brainer until my girlfriend and I purchased a new set. The dark shaker, which I assumed was meant for pepper, had less holes than the lighter shaker, which I assumed was for the salt. I found this very odd! I pointed it out to a lifetime friend of mine that we...

Salt shakers: Why glass? [ 3 Answers ]

There is just that scratching-on-the-board feel when I screw the metal cap back onto the glass shaker. Also, it will break if I happen to drop it. What is behind the glass factor? Lets say, why not plastic? It's cheaper to make and doesn't break. Does it have to do with taste? I don't...

View more questions Search