Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anna01 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    He IS an ordained minister? Or how did he get into a pulpit? Which denomination? Pentecostal?
    I guess he is. Most of the churches hd preached at were just little country churches. Nothing major. And we are non denominational Christians he says. My sister is dating a Baptist and my dad is so angry about it.. actually my boyfriend is Baptist too.. but my dad doesn't know yet because he is stationed in California. But oh my when he come home in a c

Aug 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
    But oh my when he comes home in a couple months my dad will be furious. He knows I have a boyfriend.. he doesn't like it but doesn't say anything because he is not here right now. Whether it be baptist lutheran Methodist.. doesn't matter. They are all wrong to my dad. I don't understand.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Could you list some of the beliefs he has?

Are you in a rural area in the US?

Aug 15, 2012, 01:31 PM
    Could you list some of the beliefs he has?
    Are you in a rural area in the US?
    I'm in Indiana. He Is a big believer in the man being the head of the house.. which so am I but not to the extent he does. He is constantly putting my mom down. He also is a BIG believer in speaking in tongues and actually he believes if you don't speak in tongues you are not truly saved. Which I 100% do not believe,
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
    My sister speaks in tongues (she says), but it's a private language between her and God--not to be done publicly.

Is there a family doctor?

Aug 15, 2012, 01:38 PM
    My sister speaks in tongues (she says), but it's a private language between her and God--not to be done publicly.
    Is there a family doctor?
    That is how I believe it should be. Yes we have a family doctor but we don't get shots or anything like that. How come?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 01:40 PM
    No shots? Your father is against that too? Do the children go to school?

I thought a doctor might have some input as to what is going on with your father mentally and emotionally and some clout to help the family.

Aug 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
    No shots? Your father is against that too? Do the children go to school?
    I thought a doctor might have some input as to what is going on with your father mentally and emotionally andsome clout to help the family.
    No shots. And yes we used to be homeschooled but with having nine kids it was just too much so they put us in public school. My dad does not really care for out doctor too much. I'm not too sure why. My sister and I have researched cults and religious fanatics many many times and a lot points to my dad. I believe you can have a healthy relationship with god.. which is what I have but my dad does not. All he can think about is God. He has pushed Everyone away in his life. Literally everyone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
    I'm guessing your dad doesn't care for the doctor because the doctor is the voice of reason.

So the kids have all gotten their shots for school?

Yes, I agree about the cult. And it's not even Bible-based and Gospel-based, sounds like.

Aug 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
    I'm guessing your dad doesn't care for the doctor because the doctor is the voice of reason
    So the kids have all gotten their shots for school?
    Yes, I agree about the cult. And it's not even Bible-based and Gospel-
    based, sounds like.
    No ma'am. No shots. I think they sign a paper and say it's for religious reasons? My dad does also Preach the word to us a lot but he kind of only uses and follows what He wants to from bible.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
    Wow! Indiana schools must be pretty loose with their rules. More and more we are seeing long-since-defeated diseases like whooping cough and German measles popping up and killing kids who never had their shots.

So, you have lived with this for a long time and sound very smart and on top of what is going on. What do you think can happen to improve this situation?

Aug 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Wow! Indiana schools must be pretty loose with their rules. More and more we are seeing long-since-defeated diseases like whooping cough and German measles popping up and
    killing kids who never had their shots.
    So, you have lived with this for a long time and sound very smart and on top
    of what is going on. What do you
    think can happen to improve this
    situation?
    honestly I don't think there is anything that could help the situation. Unless my dad just LEFT. But I'm pretty sure he would not do that. I feel like it would be so wrong of me to leave because they need my help around here and I am so close with my Brothers and sisters.. I just don't think I could leave them. But everyday I feel like I'm growing more and more depressed. The only thing that keeps me sane is having my siblings here and feeling the same way I do.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna01 View Post
    honestly I don't think there is anything that could help the situation. Unless my dad just LEFT. but I'm pretty sure he would not do that. I feel like it would be so wrong of me to leave because they need my help around here and I am so close with my Brothers and sisters..I just don't think I could leave them. But everyday I feel like I'm growing more and more depressed. The only thing that keeps me sane is having my siblings here and feeling the same way I do.
    I hesitate to use this word, but your dad is abusive. If any of the kids are under 18, an anonymous call to your local version of child protective services might be in order. I would also start looking into local services and organizations that assist with domestic abuse. One of those might be able to get all of you, including your mother, out of the house. While that sounds extreme, I know, domestic abuse is essentially what you're describing. It doesn't have to be physical abuse; mental and emotional abuse is very real, and your family is right in the thick of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 07:37 PM
    Not really defending the dad,

But believign that the man is the head of the household.

Believing that one certain things ( in their case speaking in tongues) is a requirement of salvation

Controlling the dating of the children.

If we make that religion Islam, it would not be considered a cult but a major religion, where mom and dad decides who the child married, are allowed to beat the daughter for not obeying ( inside many muslim nations) And often carried on in the US.

Aug 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    I hesitate to use this word, but your dad is abusive. If any of the kids are under 18, an anonymous call to your local version of child protective services might be in order. I would also start
    looking into local services and
    organizations that assist with domestic
    abuse. One of those might be able to get all of you, including your mother,
    out of the house. While that sounds
    extreme, I know, domestic abuse is
    essentially what you're describing. It
    doesn't have to be physical abuse;
    mental and emotional abuse is very
    real, and your family is right in the
    thick of it.
    CPS has been here before. For physical abuse. And it was because my school counselor saw my bruised up face. Now he doesn't really physically abuse us anymore but it is mental. For example... he and my mom have no talked for two days because she just had enough of him. They have been fighting all night and for once she is standing up to him, I want to take all the kids and go. I'm going to see how everything is in the morning. I just hope my mom doesn't give into his control again... thank you for your response

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm confused? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife left me because she said I drank too much, but she would let me drink if she wanted to. She even left me once because I would drink a few beers after work,she went back home to MI, she called me and said that she had made a mistake , and I needed to come and get her. She had no money to...

Help I am so confused! [ 5 Answers ]

I really don't know where to begin I am 25 years old and I am dealing with this 29 year old guy who mistreats me and doesn't respect me at all. I met him last September on a chatline he was so nice and sincere and he would do just about anything for me. My apartment wasn't ready so he basically...

I am so confused [ 14 Answers ]

I am 27 years old man, I came to north America in 2005 alone without family, and that's when basically my life starting to change when I immigrated. I was very happy the first couple of years, but things after that started going down hill for me. On those years I met lots of girls, but I never had...

Late period, pregnancy,confused confused [ 2 Answers ]

On 1st Aug 09, I had a very painful period which came 12days late.Before the period came, I had unusually swollen breasts,cramping consistently, consistent headache and nausea. I have been trying for a baby in the last 12months.I have never used any pill, nor gotten pregnant before. My period is...

I'm so confused! [ 3 Answers ]

I missed my period last month. Im about a week late. Sometimes I feel like my period is going to start but it doesn't.Instead of my period, I've been seeing a white odorless discharge.Im scheduled to see my doctor in a few days but was wondering what this could be. If anyone can feed my...

View more questions Search