Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1bsurferwalker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2012, 05:39 PM
    3 year old tears bedroom apart
    My 3 year old daughter who share 50% of time with me. Has lately been destroying her room, covered her whole room, bed, toys, dresser with baby powder. Last week she tore all the feathers out of one of her dess up boa's. When I asked her why she said "because I did". I don't understand.

I take her too the park, bike rides, swim class. I try to be involved with all activities and let her have play time with the girl next door, I don't leave her in pre-school day care for 9 hours as is the case with mom on her days. Sometime I don't even take my daughter to preschool so her and I can have the whole day together.

I am lost as too what Im doing or not doing. I discipline and show love and affection. I have been told countless times what a great dad I am but yet I end with this bad behavior

It has been suggested that it is not me but her home life between parents, she might be lacking something or coping. We have been separated living apart for 8 months
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bsurferwalker View Post
    My 3 year old daughter who share 50% of time with me. Has lately been destroying her room, covered her whole room, bed, toys, dresser with baby powder. Last week she tore all the feathers out of one of her dess up boa's. When I asked her why she said "because I did". I dont understand.

I take her too the park, bike rides, swim class. I try to be involved with all activities and let her have play time with the girl next door, I dont leave her in pre-school day care for 9 hours as is the case with mom on her days. Sometime I dont even take my daughter to preschool so her and I can have the whole day together.

I am lost as too what Im doing or not doing. I discipline and show love and affection. I have been told countless times what a great dad I am but yet I end with this bad behavior

It has been suggested that it is not me but her home life between parents, she might be lacking something or coping. We have been seperated living apart for 8 months

Who was watching her when she did the damage?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
    It sounds like she is angry at you for being apart from your wife, and why not? She isn't old enough to talk about it other than 'why are you not at home.' Have you talked to her about all of that? Toys, walks, parks, love - nothing makes up for what you and her mother did to her, and it's going to be a lot of work for a long long time. You CAN talk to a 3 year old. Look for a book on how to talk about divorce to a child.
    Kallyp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
    Maybe you just need to ask her nicely to talk and sit down where politely ask her why she did it and tell her that you did not like that she did that and that you hope she will. Never do that again time out (depends on parents point of view could be asertied as a punnismenf time getting larger every time stopping at 8 min so they understand it's a punishment
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2012, 11:30 PM
    Sounds like she is 3.

Every time it happens, you guys team up and clean it up together. And then make sure she knows she cannot play with her toys for the rest of the day. EVERY single time she destroys the room.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 01:29 AM
    Yes sounds a lot like 1/2 of all of the 2 or 3 year olds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old sneaks out of bedroom [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old son, who has just learned how to open door knobs. I have found him a few times now in the kitchen. One time there was a knife he was getting off the counter when I caught him. I am afraid that something serious could happen when he is doing this. However, I am afraid to put...

Rate increase 30% for 1 bedroom after 1 year?confused [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sirs, I live in orange county, ca... I have been at my residence for 6 months.. what is the appropriate rent increase... my landlord wants to raise our rent $330.. or 30%... we called him and he said the rate won't change until the for one year anniversary... for a bedroom!. can...

My 3 year old scratches on our bedroom door at night [ 10 Answers ]

:confused:Within the last month, my 3 year old cat had decided to start scratching on our bedroom door at night. She has plenty of food, water, litter box, etc. to get her through the night, yet she insists on scratching. When we got her from the shelter about 3 years ago she was already declawed...

The Year of my Bedroom Dresser [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am very new to antiques and the value, so could use some help here! I have found a gorgeous 9-drawer dresser, but I do not know the year it was made. It doesn't look like the way dressers are made today. And, I also compared it to 1940's & 50's 9-drawer dressers, and there were...

Tears [ 14 Answers ]

:mad: I found this on a web sight... I wish I could save all the tears you made me cry... So I could Drown you in them... :mad: I know that's evil but today is how I'm feeling about him today. I guessthis is part of the healing... getting angry. Thanks to you all for helping me see the light...

View more questions Search