Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busymom.7 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2012, 03:54 PM
    How do I get rid of rats digging in my garden?
    I have a bed of sweet potato vine that has been eaten by rats and there are a lot of little holes dug in the bed. I have a dog and don't want to put out anything poison that would hurt the dog so what can I use to rid our yard from these horrible pests?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Pellet gun maybe, if you can't use poison, but where are you located?
    Expert

Aug 14, 2012, 10:31 PM
    On second thought, I don't think rats dig holes to burrow; they are far to lazy and smart to look for accommodation like that preferring drain pipes and such to live in. How do you know for sure they are rats, have you actually seen them?
    busymom.7 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 05:40 AM
    Yes, we see them scurry when we go outside. This morning we found a black rat snake in our pool who had just deoured a rat -- you could see the bulge in the middle of the snake... he didn't die -- because he somehow got out of the pool and disappeared. Our exterminator has placed bait traps around the perimeter where they run. We believe they are coming from a neighbor's yard... they are hoarders and it's a disaster in their back yard.. I am trying to find peppermint oil that will supposedly send them away but they will just go into someone else's property and reproduce. This is an awfull predicament. I am so disgusted with these nasty creatures!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    On second thought, I dont think rats dig holes to burrow; they are far to lazy and smart to look for accomodation like that preferring drain pipes and such to live in.
    When I was younger, my neighbors had a huge garden and wound up with a rat problem. You could clearly see them digging holes all over. They had quite a network going. Up until that point, I didn't think they would burrow either.

The pellet gun idea will work as long as there aren't too many. That's what my neighbors had me doing. It needs to be a quality pellet gun or it will do no more than sting them... rats are tough.

In the long run, an exterminator is the only real answer.
    Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by busymom.7 View Post
    Yes, we see them scurry when we go outside. This morning we found a black rat snake in our pool who had just deoured a rat -- you could see the bulge in the middle of the snake....he didn't die -- because he somehow got out of the pool and disappeared. Our exterminator has placed bait traps around the perimeter where they run. We believe they are coming from a neighbor's yard...they are hoarders and it's a disaster in their back yard.. I am trying to find peppermint oil that will supposedly send them away but they will just go into someone else's property and reproduce. This is an awfull predicament. I am so disgusted with these nasty creatures!
    Yes. Now that you say your neighbors are hoarders, I see what you mean.

Buy peppermint oil in a health food store, they don't like toothpaste either, for the same reason!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
    I have a cat and a Jack Russell. They act as a tag team, with the cat catching the rodent and the dog performing the coup de grace. Even though the cat is quite capable of doing it, and does when she's on her own. She just takes a lot longer to do it than the dog.
    Unfortunately far too many chipmunks and birds rather than mice.
    If the neighbors' hoarding is enough to land them on TV, call the health dept. Or the TV show, or both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get rid of rats near my chickens? [ 2 Answers ]

I keep my chickens next to my room because I don't have the space to keep them anywhere else. But while normal rodents should be hibernating mine are thriving from the wrmth of the house and the extra winter feed supply from the chickens. I really don't want to poisson the chickens accidentally and...

Rats [ 1 Answers ]

What is the chaces of my dog getting sick from killing a rat , he did not eat it just killed it ? He may or may not be up on his rabie shot not sure if he is due it isn't by much. And I still have the rat should/could I get it checked out.

Oh rats... [ 43 Answers ]

Ok so we are thinking about getting a rat. I don't really want to spend $150 on the cages they have in town so I was looking for alternatives. I though ooooh we have a 3ft fish tank in the shed... but then I looked online and nope, can't use that, not enough ventilation. Then I remembered my...

Dog digging in the garden [ 2 Answers ]

Trink's dug herself a bed in the (currently unplanted) flowerbed. I can understand why... the nice cool dirt probably feels really nice during the hot Texas weather. Going on the basis that it's better to have one known spot with a hole (rather than having her dig new ones if I try and fill...

View more questions Search