Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    escott3547 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
    I have a life insurance maturing in Germany. Is there a tax shelter for it?
    I have a life insurance maturing in Germany. I would like to move it and put it in a tax shelter such as an annunity. I am 65 and I want to save as much as I can. Do I have to pay taxes if I move the money to the US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
    Are you a U.S. citizen or resident alien? If so, and you receive MORE than what you paid in premiums on the insurance policy, then likely the difference is considered taxable income.

Once you have the money, the mere transfer of the funds is NOT a taxable event, as the U.S. has NO transfer taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 tax treaty US germany: what if they have paid me the tax exempt but I stayed >2yr [ 44 Answers ]

I am a postdoctoral research fellow at Harvard. I am on a J1 visa and I entered the US a little more than 2 years ago. Filing my taxes for 2007, I thought I wouldn't stay longer than 2 years therefore I claimed the tax exempt and the state returned all federal taxes to me that I had paid up until...

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium o [ 1 Answers ]

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium of $25,000. The agency billed the client for the policy and is entitled to a commission of 20%. How do I do an adjusting journal entry for this question? Will it have two parts to it?

Is there an income tax on life insurance? [ 2 Answers ]

Do we have to pay income tax on life insurance?

Tax payable in usa against life insurance policy matured in india and pf amount rece [ 3 Answers ]

I am filing my tax retruns as us resident waiting for my green card, my lic life insurance policies matured in india recently and i also received pf amount from my previuos company . They are not taxable in india. Do i pay tax in usa on this .the policies matured after 20 years out of which 18...

View more questions Search