Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shyanf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Drivers license issue
    They have put a lien on my nj drivers license for the last 10 yrs and I can even get around to make a living. I don't know what to do anymore can someone please help me...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2012, 03:36 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. This can lead to confusion. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Who has put a lien? How can someone "lien" a drivers license?

You need to give us the background here if you want help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Yes, do you mean you can not get a drivers license because of a unpaid debt, either perhaps from a car accident or other unpaid court costs ?

Please tell us what happened to cause this, and more details, your terms are not the proper terms , so it is hard to under stand

Aug 15, 2012, 09:41 AM
    First to make myself understood, I was in a car accident with 2 other cars I was the middle car the last car hit me an I hit the first car. So apperently the person in the first car sued me since I didt go to court the other lawyer told the judge to put a lien on my drivers license. I was thinking of filing for bankrupy but this will ruin my credit even more right now my score is 720. I really don't

Know what to do. Is there not a limit that a lien can be put on.

Aug 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
    OK, now it makes more sense. If you are in an accident and are sued and lose (a judgment is awarded to the plaintiff) then a court can prevent you from renewing your license until the award is paid.

So the questions are why didn't you defend yourself? Didn't you have insurance?

Aug 15, 2012, 10:19 AM
    Yes I I did but I guess the insurance company did nothing so that is where I am stuck. I can't even remember the company. I need to no what I can do right now after so long. Is bankruptcy the answer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Ok, you were in an accident, you most likely did not insurance since they would have paid. So you have a unpaid debt, This is tough, while you can file for bankruptcy, and they can not garnish your pay. This will not clear up the "lien" on your license. They may still even after bankruptcy require you to pay this to get license back.

If you really had insurance, you need to find the company and file a claim. It should be listed on the accident report.

Aug 15, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Were you even aware of the suit? Did you report the accident to your carrier? Sounds to me like you just ignored it. And that's what has landed you in this predicament.

I would suggest that you consult an attorney. Find someone that will give you a free consultation. They may be able to help you get out of this mess.

But Chuck is right, since the judgment has already been awarded bankruptcy may not get you out of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drivers license [ 10 Answers ]

I have been told it is illegal to photo copy a driver's license. Is this true? home owner LA CA

Drivers License First Issue? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all, Just found this site and am interested in knowing if any one can tell what year and Month the first drivers license was issued and what State , and was this issuance for What type of carriage , buggy or car? Thanks in advance! Isaiah , Amowtz

Drivers license [ 4 Answers ]

I recently cleared my driving record here in az. but I'm still suspended in ill. az won't give me a license till ill. Suspension is up. Is there any state that I could go to that would not find that suspension in ill. And issue me a license. The suspension in ill. Is for driving w/revoked, so I'm...

Drivers license! [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and I'd like to know if ilegal aliens are allowed to apply for a drivers license? Thank you, Philly

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search