Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twirlyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Ask a human resources question help
    Can going back to school be used as a reason to withhold a promotion?
    My supervisor told me that having a small child and going back to school would take too much of my time and prevent me from working late. I wouldn't be available to work as much as the new role would require. I am currently salary and the new position is salary as well. Is this legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Are they correct or would you be able to work the much longer hours and work late with a child and going back to school. If you have to leave certain days to be in a school, then yes it can be a reason, Also if you have to leave by certain times to pick a child up, you can not stay late all the time either
    twirlyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Are they correct or would you be able to work the much longer hours and work late with a child and going back to school. If you have to leave certain days to be in a school, then yes it can be a reason, Also if you have to leave by certain times to pick a child up, you can not stay late all the time either
    My daughter is at the on-site daycare so I actually leave later now than when she was at a different school. I would leave at a normal time on the weekday I'll have school. My school schedule hasn't even been set yet. My supervisor said that she expects that I won't have time, but I don't expect school to interfere with my schedule.

I work in Atlanta, Georgia, by the way...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
    A salary person normally works 60 plus hours a week, and is often requried with little notice to stay several hours later than others.

Is the onsite day care available for any length of time you have to stay over or does it close at some point.

And you can't leave at regular times and unless you are doing a online school, a regular school will often cause issues.

But you can argue the fact, go to HR and discuss this. Just remember if you have to miss college for a work meeting, you have to, if you have to stay several hours late on a day, you have to.

I have normally seen people in your situation try and they have almost always failed unless they have a partner that can pick up the child and a school willing to allow you to miss classes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask human resources [ 11 Answers ]

I have a question about discrimination in the work place. Is it discriminatory if I lose hours because I enrolled in class? I changed my availability temporarily, but was still getting hours. Now, I have no hours. I'm not fired either, that I know of anyway

Ask human resources [ 2 Answers ]

I am in sales and a customer asked why I was taking a few days off. I told her, benignly, that I was having a procedure so that I can't have more kids. She immediately told me it was too personal and I apologied. A few days later, her supervisor approached me and told me she had told him and he...

Human resources [ 1 Answers ]

What are the roles of Human Resources manager in employee and industrial relationship with specific emphasis to the union and management relationship in an Organization?

Human Resources [ 7 Answers ]

Hello to you, and thanks again for taking the time to view and answer my questions - this is awsome!! I just found out I’m pregnant (Happy). I went through my employee handbook to find out what is said about maternity leave and to my surprise; there is little to nothing at all. My human...

View more questions Search