Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aprilj Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Legal name change of a minor
    I want to legally change my sons name to my future husbands last name. My sons father has been out of the picture for over 5 years, last I heard he moved out of state, got married and has 2 more children. I can't find the man any where. My question is can I just file the paper work myself without his consent, or do I have to seak him out. I don't want to wait until I am married in case something should happen to me, I want to do this now. My sons father isn't on the birth certificate and is no where to be found. Any suggestions before I just end up taking this to a lawyer and paying a fortune.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
    I'm not sure you can do that. Your future husband would need to formally adopt the kids, they can't just assume his last name. So you have to show the courts you made a good faith effort to contact the bio father and failed before the court would grant the adoption. You should start now, trying to contact the bio father. And then file for adoption as soon as you have married.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change of a minor last name [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to change my daughter's last name, I'm a single mom but the father signed papers, so she has his last name (she has 1 month), but the guy and me not even talk, so I don't know what do I need to change her last name, since he doesn't even care about my daughter and I'm afraid someday...

Theft by a minor, HELP [ 5 Answers ]

Im 17 and about a year ago I was working at Sheetz, the convience store. I was having money problems at the time and car problems. Another employee asked me if I wanted to make some extra money. I was excited and said yes. A couple days later he explained it to me how it worked. Basically when a...

View more questions Search