Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Form 8843: F1 status for 5+ yrs.
    I am currently on F1 which was issued in Aug 2001. It has been five yrs. + since I came over for my graduate studies, and expect to continue on F1 for another 1yr. In Form 8843 Q.12 pertains to if I have been present for more than 5 calendar yrs on F1 status in the US. And, if Yes do provide sufficient evidence to establish that I do not intend to reside permanently in the US/ show that I wish to maintain my nonimmigrant status. Now, my question relates to what may qualify as sufficient evidence that I may be in a position to provide to maintain my nonimmigrant status.

Thanks
    -rj
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 11:18 PM
    I doubt it.

As far as the IRS is concerned, you became a resident alien for tax purposes on 1 January 2006, regardless of your visa status.
    rjb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    I doubt it.

As far as the IRS is concerned, you became a resident alien for tax purposes on 1 January 2006, regardless of your visa status.
    Hi Atlanta
    To clear up some things on my end; My 5 yrs on F1 was completed on Aug 6th 2006 (F1 was issued in June 2001 and I first entered US on Aug 7th 2001) and in the remaining months from August 7th '06 till end of December '06 I do not meet the substantial presence test (183 days). Does this still mean I need to file my taxes as a resident alien?
    Now, if I were to apply for a new F1 as the earlier one is expired, does my status as resident alien for tax purposes have any bearing on my application for a new F1.

Thanks for your advice
    -rj
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 01:21 AM
    RJ:

If you spend ANY part of a year in the U.S. under an F-1 visa, that counts as a FULL YEAR. So if you arrived in the U.S. in 2001, that is Year #1, which makes 2005 Year #5, thus your F-1 exemption expired on 31 Dec 2005.

File as a resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 8843 and OPT [ 4 Answers ]

I have been all year 2006 under OPT. I understand I have to fill 1040NR and form 8843. Form 8843 indicates to list the University attended and if there was any application to change status to that of a lawful permanent resident. Do I indicate the university I graduated from even though I did not...

Should I fill Form 8843 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student on F1 visa and studying in united states since August 2001. I am currently a resident alien for tax purposes only. I have a question, as I am supposed to fill form 1040 and not 1040 NR EZ, should I file form 8843 along with the 1040 form or not? I understand that...

Form 8843 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my mane is Margy, I been in U.S since 2003 as a tourist. Later I change my status to F1 since 2004. I have never filled any form since then. My friend told me that I have to use the form 8843. What should I do? Do I have to filled 3 forms for the 3 years I been here? Please help me... One...

F1 Visa & Form 8843 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Up to now, I believed that when you are on F1 visa, it's mandatory for you to file form 8843 unless you qualify as a resident on the basis of 5 years stay in US. But, I read an FAQ as follow. What happens if the student doesnʼt file the form 8843? If Form 8843 is not filed, the alien...

Form 8843 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on a F1 Visa and I didn't file the form 8843 for 2004 thinking I shouldn't do anything since I had no income. Is there anyway I can rectify this. Please help me. Thanks Lokesh.

View more questions Search