hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 10:36 PM
    Must be on a well.
    kevinjay Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Must be on a well.
    Yes it is on a 23 year old well 120' deep. Water softener is also 23 years old, never had a silt problem until 3 weeks ago

Aug 12, 2012, 10:50 PM
    Don't think softener will be source of silt. If you are finding it in bathtub must be pretty bad.
    First I would flush pressure tank. May be an accumulation there.
    If it persist you will probably have to install filters or sand trap or both.

Aug 12, 2012, 10:55 PM
    Don't think softener will be source of silt. If you are finding it in bathtub must be pretty bad.
    First I would flush pressure tank. May be an accumulation there.
    If it persist you will probably have to install filters or sand trap or both.
    I replaced the pressure tank yesterday, old tank had very little silt in it

Aug 12, 2012, 10:59 PM
    Have you been dry for a long period and the water table be droping?

Aug 12, 2012, 11:07 PM
    Have you been dry for a long period and the water table be droping?
    We have had the dryest year here since 1911. I thought of that possability also but I don't use a lot of water, possibly 100 gallons a week. Would that much usage bring my water table down enough to cause this problem?

Aug 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
    Not what you use. More about the lack of rain in that area and what other people are using.
    If you are using only 100 a week that might be part of the problem. Open a faucet and let it run for a couple days to see it that clears things up.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Sure sounds like the water table has fallen and the well is closing in allowing you to pump silt, Harold advises,
    Open a faucet and let it run for a couple days to see it that clears things
    It's not often I disagree with Harold but I'm afraid if you do that you'll just lower the water table farther and make a bad situation worse. I would call in a well company and have the well checked out, You might have to go deeper. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Silt in well water? [ 18 Answers ]

I live in GA and have well water as the only water source to the house. We have lived in the house 23 years. Our well is 300 ft deep and has a submersible pump. We have always had a black gritty silt problem even with a whole house filter. I change the filter often but it can fill up in minutes at...

Silt in well water [ 7 Answers ]

I had a deep well pump stop working. I'm a DIY with lots of industrial maintenance experience, so I decided I could do this myself. I am located in Roanoke, VA, our dirt is red clay. The well is 200' deep, static water level 100' to 150', not sure 150' listed by last well company I think 100' is...

Silt in home water [ 1 Answers ]

we just bought our house (repo) and there was a no salt filtration on the well. This has not stopped the iron stains or the silt coming in. the water is so hard that even applying lotions and oils to ourselves three x's a day does not help. We can not even use the outside water faucets because the...

How to remove silt in well [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a house that is 20 years old and the well (which I think was redug once by previous owners or the level was changed) has been putting silt into the filter. We have to change the filters often (sometimes more than once a week) because they fill with silt. It also trips the breaker when...

Toilet backing up into tub and tub bubbles in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 30 year old septic system that started acting up after we had it pumped the last time. The drains in the rest of the house work, but the toilet and tub do not. When we flush the toilet, it backs up into the tub and when we run water in the tub, it forces air into the toilet and...

View more questions Search