Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spence27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Replacing railroad tie retaining wall
    I have a retaining wall that starts at on end at 1 tie , goes to 7 in the middle, then ends up at 1 again. About 100 feet long with a fence above most of it. ( 6 foot cedar stockade fence.). The ties are rotting and dirt from my yard is coming down into the neighbor's yard. We wish to replace the wall with a stone wall used for retainers these days. My question is, can you leave the railroad tie wall and just build up against it? What would be the consequences of doing that. Thanks, Bill Spencer
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Sure, if you have room between the two walls for gravel, and go below grade far enough for a footing as defined by the material you use.
    By 'stone wall used for retainers these days' do you mean manufactured interlocking blocks? Those walls can only be about 3' high. The pressure on a higher wall will be enormous.
    I can't envision your wall somehow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Railroad tie retaining wall [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of building a retaining wall using railroad ties and rebar. I am having difficulty with the creosote in the ties gumming up, smoking, and getting hot using an 3/4" auger bit. Is this the correct type of bit to use or should I be looking at using another type of bit?

Replacing retaining wall and stairs [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, Need some help again. There's a set of cement stairs and a retaining wall that leads to the basement from backyard. Well the stairs are in bad shape and the wall is buckling side ways. Eventually it is going to fall over so my honey and I want to tackle this problem ourselves. My...

Railroad tie wall [ 6 Answers ]

Am thinking of building railroad tie wall using 6x8 ties with 6''side for the height. It will be 30'' high and 25' long. How would it look if I stepped ties back 2'' and ending top tie with 6x6 instead of 6x8. Have seen walls built straight , never with a step back. Chuck

Old railroad tie retaining wall [ 4 Answers ]

There is a 15 foot railroad tie wall holding up my raspberry bed. The problem is it is starting to lean and the dirt is sinking on one side. Is there anything I can do to repair the wall without re-doing the whole thing? It is an old wall. Maybe 30 years or so.

Question(s) about replacing a Railroad Tie Retaining Wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have some time off this summer and I was thinking of replacing a rotted-out, railroad tie retaining wall we have in the front yard. I'd like to replace it with block. Here is the setup. From our driveway, there is a concrete path that curves to the front of our house (the driveway / garage...

View more questions Search