Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsm4g631 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Can I be flagged for employment for past UCMJ?
    I got into trouble back in 1998 because my roommate was money laundering and I didn't say anything. He was dishonorabley discharged and I was given UCMJ and 40-40. That's 40 days punishment and 40 days loss of pay and kept my rank. I finished my contract and was Honorably dischared in 2002. So I worked a bank and did the whole finger print thing and passed. I applied for another bank and was told I can't work for them because of my background from what happened back in 1998. Can civilians see that? How can one bank not see that and another see that? I thought it would be closed afterwards. Thanks for any help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Not all companies use the same back ground search firms, and of course they can see this criminal charge if they use the right search companies.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm4g631 View Post
    I got into trouble back in 1998 because my roommate was money laundering and I didnt say anything. He was dishonorabley discharged and I was given UCMJ and 40-40. Thats 40 days punishment and 40 days loss of pay and kept my rank. I finished my contract and was Honorably dischared in 2002. So I worked a bank and did the whole finger print thing and passed. I applied for another bank and was told I can't work for them because of my background from what happened back in 1998. Can civilians see that? How can one bank not see that and another see that? I thought it would be closed afterwards. Thanks for any help.

One background check was more thorough than the other.

Did anyone tell you that your record would be sealed?

Aug 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Yes I was told it wouldn't effect me as a civilian. I don't understand the bank said I am a convicted felon?

Aug 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
    On my DD-214 it says Honorable lol. And I have had other jobs that did federal background checks.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2012, 09:22 AM
    On my DD-214 it says Honorable lol. And I have had other jobs that did federal background checks.

My feeling is it isn't about the discharge, and that the problem is with the "punishment."

If you've been denied employment based on a background check ask to see the results of the check. I've see people denied employment because of credit issues which were not the issues of the person applying but were, in fact, an error.

Aug 12, 2012, 09:33 AM
    They said I would get something in the mail. I live in FL and they can deny employment or fire you for no reason, so I have no chance in trying to fight it. Thanks for the info Judy.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
    They said I would get something in the mail. I live in FL and they can deny employment or fire you for no reason, so I have no chance in trying to fight it. Thanks for the info Judy.

I wouldn't make any decisions until you get the paperwork. It could be wrong.

Let me know -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support modification.. discovery of past employment.. showing potential income [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just had a review for child support. I asked for administrative hearing. The amount was upheld. So, I am asking for a court hearing to try to show the child support order was in error for the following reasons: My son's mother has a management cosmetology license and is capable of earning...

Employment Restrictions on Employment Authorization Card [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process AOS (I485) under Eb3 from India. My Priority date is Dec 2002. I have been working on a Federal Project as a contractor on my EAD. 2 days ago, they let me go for the reason that the project became high risk, and only US citizens and GC holders are only allowed. I am planning to...

Red Flagged! [ 3 Answers ]

I recently filed bankruptcy and it has just been finalized. Before that I had a checking account with Wachovia for over 6 years and just before I filed bankruptcy my account was frozen and I had a balance due on the account of $150 (that was sent to creditors). I put this account as one of my...

Yellow-flagged "multimedia audio controller" [ 4 Answers ]

I keep getting a Bad directsound driver, Error code: 8878000A. In the device manager the "multimedia audio controller" under "other devices" is yellow flagged. I've tried to reinstall the driver but it is not found within my system and I don't have it saved anywhere nor do I have the original cd. ...

View more questions Search