Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueeyes1950 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 07:31 AM
    Mass plumbing codes ice maker installation
    Will Mass code allow you, to pass through a wall or floor, the 1/4" copper
    Tubing that will be attached to a watersupply line for a ice maker installation?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2012, 07:41 AM
    All codes will allow you to drill a small hole to allow the icemaker line to connect to the fridge. Good luck, Tom
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Aug 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
    As Tom said all codes will allow you to drill a hole for a water line, I don't know Mass. Code but in Ohio saddle valves are not legal for icemakers, humidifilers or any other hookups if you are planning on using one, since you are asking about code I assume you are getting a inspection, so make sure a saddle valve is legal if you are planning on using one. In Ohio we use compression valves for those type hookups. IMO it is a much better job.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
    I'm from the Boston area and yes, as mentioned, you can run 1/4" tubing through walls and floors. You just can't hide any compression fittings in a wall or in a floor, but the tubing can run pretty much anywhere your imagination will allow... ;)

Saddle valves as Puffmugs mentioned, are not legal in this state for any purpose. Your best job would be to install a copper x compression shutoff and if no filter is present in your refrigerator, install and properly HANG an in-line ice maker filter. Buy extra filters now so you can keep up with the frequent changes you need to make with these filter types.

Be aware that hot water will give you clear ice cubes and cold water will give you cloudy ice cubes. If you have yet to make your connection to a pipe, I recommend cutting into the hot water system and making the ice cubes clear... seems to get a lot of reaction at a home party!

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
    Great advice from Mark.
    Let me take it a bit farther and explain why the cubes are clearer with hot water.
    For openers the water's going to set in the Ice maker line and come to room temperature so the water's room temperature when it gets to the icemaker,
    Now the cloudy part. As water seta in a hot water tank it goes through a deoxidization process. Big word but all it means is that the air in the water raises to the top and disipates. No air bubbles in the cubes = a clear tube. And now you know the rest of the story. Cheers. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing: Kitchen faucet water and ice maker cubes smell like mildew. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having with my Kitchen Faucet and Ice maker in my refrigerator. When I first turn the water on, on my kitchen faucet the water smells like mildew. The smell goes away if I let the water run for about 10 seconds. If I use the faucet often...

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice [ 1 Answers ]

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice

What does the ice maker water inlet valve have to do with the ice maker leaking? [ 0 Answers ]

On my amana refrigerator, the ice maker leaks water at the inlet to the ice maker itself which drips heavily back into the dump tray which freezes the ice cubes all together. I was told the water inlet valve may be at fault. Why? Does the inlet valve have anything to do with the pressure going into...

Ice maker solenoid installation [ 1 Answers ]

The ice maker in our GE side by side refrigerator stopped working, although we are still able to get water from the door. I initially replaced the ice maker unit, but it still didn't work. I assumed that the solenoid/water valve must be defective and replaced it as well. I still can't get it to...

Ice Maker installation [ 2 Answers ]

I just had my ice maker connected. I notice the tech used plastic tubing rather than copper. I was concerned if it was okay to use plastic tubing. Is it better than copper? He said he used plastic because he went through th cabinet and around the dish washer. Copper he said might break. Is...

View more questions Search