Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tphipps1695 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 05:39 AM
    If a bank account was closed for fraud can you open a different bank
    My friend ask me to do her a favor, because she was leaving the country to come back. So the deal was that she would send over a $1000 to give to her brother because he didn't have a bank account, so because I trusted her I gave her my account, after she called me to let me know she had place the money in the account and that I need to draw it and give to her brother.
    About two days after they said she called in stating that she didn't authorize the transfer, the bank had froze my account stating that it was a fraud.

The problem is now that my account was a joined account and what ever money that I now owed the bank they pulled from the other person account, and stated that if I don't finish paying back the bank the rest of the money, they are going to report it in as fraud and now I don't know what to do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 06:28 AM
    No, this will most likely show up when the bank does their check before opening you account.

I bet you did not really know this person did you ? I bet this was a person you just meet on the internet correct ? Please be honest?

How did you give the money to the brother ? Did he come personally and pick it up or did you have to send it by western union?

This is a very common fraud and yes you can be charged with the police, so you borrow money and pay this back, or see if the bank will give you a loan for the balance to pay them back.

If you really know this person and if you really meet the brother give the police all of their info
    tphipps1695 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
    I had only meet her twice, but normally we would be talking with each other or by texts, however I never did meet her brother, but I have his address of where he live and his name and I have prof that I send him the money, so what can be done?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
    How did you send the money ? How did she contact you about sending the money?

I get about two or three emails a week from "friends" where someone has hacked an accoutnt on Facebook and email me that they are trapped in Europe or Asia and need money wired all the time.

So you meet this women in real life, perhaps have a photo of her, and you mailed a check to this mans address ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tphipps1695 View Post
    i had only meet her twice, but normally we would be talking with each other or by texts, however i never did meet her brother, but i have his address of where he live and his name and i have prof that i send him the money, so what can be done?
    Odds are you were scammed. You should NEVER use money deposited by a relative stranger (or anyone for that matter) that you are not SURE has cleared.

You have proof you sent the money, but no proof that you were not part of a conspiracy to commit fraud.

You can report this to the police, but there is probably little they can. The brother's address will turn out to be a phony. The "friend" will have disappeared.

As I see it you have ONE alternative. And that is the reimburse the bank for the $1000. Then file suit against the "friend" and her "brother".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank closed dba business acct suspected fraud [ 0 Answers ]

Background: opened small bus dba bank with all the right papers. Took in my first check and the address on the check they printed was the mailing address. I was out of state. There was a similar business name at the address -- and the bank called the other business to find out if I was in their...

My bank closed my account because I had my friends check deposited into my account [ 10 Answers ]

I had my friends imcomtax deposited into my account so I. An take. Care of kids my bank closed my account what can I do I have legal papers saying I can a t as her on her behalf for personal and buissness affairs .its not fair for them to close my account then bill me a fee because something was...

Bank has frozen my bank account and they say me that it's a lottery fraud suspense acc [ 2 Answers ]

Bank has frozen my bank account and they say me that it's a lottery fraud suspense account,but the story is that I had an advertisement agency which is unregistered and the people who work for me pays me the registration fees as 2000/3500/5000/7000 respectively and we pay them cash for their work...

I hold H4 Visa,can I open a bank account with any USA bank? [ 0 Answers ]

I hold H4 Visa,can I open a bank account with any US bank?

My bank account closed, how will I receive my PA Unemployment benefits? [ 2 Answers ]

My benefits usually go through direct deposit into my checking account, but my bank closed my account due to inactivity. The direct deposit is supposed to be in my account tomorrow. The bank said the payment will get bounced back to PA Unemployment. Will they send me a paper check? Or will I...

View more questions Search