Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kanuk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
    Harley davidson troubleshooting
    I have a 2012 Harley Davidson 883 XL Sportster that was just converted to a
    1250cc. Today while riding the throttle just started racing on its own. I have never
    Had this happen before, and wonder how concerned I should be. All the other
    Riders around me, saw I was having a problem, and it really was strange to not
    Be in control of my bike. Can you tell me if this is something that I should take
    Care of right away, and whether r not my bike is safe to ride.
    Thanks, Kanuk
    PeterHD13 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Sticking throttles can be very dangerous especially on the road. Make sure it's not just your idle screw setting to high first as when bikes warm up they can idle faster. Check your cables are free and not hung up. Check your cable adjustment. If you have a carbie you can undo the adjustments and make sure your cable pulley is at it's lowest point and gradually tighten the adjuster until you see it start to move up when it does loosen to remove that movement. Fine adjustment and observing the pulley will let would have the throttle start to open the instant you move the throttle grip. If you have a second push cable take up the adjustment until your happy that it snaps back closed quickly. If this cable is to tight it will hold the throttle open or delay closing , otherwise go to the dealer or a good road mechanic and let him fix it for you.

Cables can fray and get caught inside the outer and jam the throttle on so make sure your cables throttle assembly, pulley is properly lubed and in good order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

I took the bike for it's MOT on Wedneday, passed no probs. Took it back to the home, no probs. Went to put it away and could not disable the alarm. Eventually managed it and put it away. I thought perhaps the fob battery was going off so I bought another battery. When I went to the bike to...

Harley davidson troubleshooting? [ 0 Answers ]

2000 Heritage Softail classic Fuel Leak, on-off valve. I tried a new diaphram Leaks gas with engine running only. If I turn the valve to off position, the leak stops immediately. I bought a new diaphram ($32) and it didn't change. I put a new clamp on the fuel line.

Troubleshooting harley davidson? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 2000 HD Ultra Classic. Stored in my basement over winter and started it up a couple times, no problem. Out today and went to start it, thought about it for a second then just started rapidly clicking. Lots of juice in the new battery. Absolutely no corrosion, not even dust right now. I...

Harley davidson troubleshooting? [ 0 Answers ]

2006 h/d FLHT.Carburetor idle pick up when warm up.I have change intake manifold gasket and rebuilt carb.

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

Positive side of battery touch frame lost all power checked fuses seam fine

View more questions Search