Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbky Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Sharing of confidential information
    I went on a hike recently with an intern from my company. She is 21 and we do not work together and I am an hourly employee with no supervisory responsibilities over her or anyone else. She asked me to go hiking with her and made the plans through Facebook. The hike took place after work hours. While we were hiking another intern from the company went to HR and made false statements about me and said that she feared for the safety of the intern that I was hiking with. When we were able to receive phone signal after our hike I learned that HR wanted to fire me and that they had left messages for the intern I was with to call the HR person. The HR person then went on to divulge personal information about me that should have been held confidential. I also found out that another member of management called one of my coworkers and was asking personal information and then told him that I was hiking with an intern. My questions are these: Can they call my coworkers and divulge personal information about me? Do they have any authority to intervene when it was a mutually agreed upon after work activity? And, if they were no complaint from the intern I was hiking with then why should they have even involved?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pbky View Post
    I went on a hike recently with an intern from my company. She is 21 and we do not work together and I am an hourly employee with no supervisory responsibilities over her or anyone else. She asked me to go hiking with her and made the plans through Facebook. The hike took place after work hours. While we were hiking another intern from the company went to HR and made false statements about me and said that she feared for the safety of the intern that I was hiking with. When we were able to receive phone signal after our hike I learned that HR wanted to fire me and that they had left messages for the intern I was with to call the HR person. The HR person then went on to divulge personal information about me that should have been held confidential. I also found out that another member of management called one of my coworkers and was asking personal information and then told him that I was hiking with an intern. My questions are these: Can they call my coworkers and divulge personal information about me? Do they have any authority to intervene when it was a mutually agreed upon after work activity? And, if they was no complaint from the intern I was hiking with then why should they have even involved?

I'm confused - "someone" made false allegations about you which alarmed HR. "Someone" called a coworker and asked personal information (about you).

Is there a company policy against socalizing with employees or interns or anyone else?

Why did anyone fear for the intern's safety?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Is there something in your past, that the company knows about that could have made them worry?

What did the other intern say?

Has the company told you they are sorry ?

Have they fired the intern that caused the trouble, if not why, and have you talked to HR about this.

If they were willling to fire you over a hike, you need to find another job since you job won't be there long for other reasons
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 04:54 AM
    ... The HR person then went on to divulge personal information about me that should have been held confidential. ...
    ... Can they call my coworkers and divulge personal information about me? ...
    Yes, unless there is a company policy against HR doing so.

... Do they have any authority to intervene when it was a mutually agreed upon after work activity? And, if they was no complaint from the intern I was hiking with then why should they have even involved?
    They (the HR person, evidently) appears to have been watching to many crime shows on TV. He or she was concerned about the intern's safety, and therefore properly investigated.

Aug 20, 2012, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    is there something in your past, that the company knows about that could have made them worry?

What did the other intern say?

Has the company told you they are sorry ?

have they fired the intern that caused the trouble, if not why, and have you talked to HR about this.

If they were willling to fire you over a hike, you need to find another job since you job won't be there long for other reasons
    The intern that went to hr was not fired because she was leaving in a week anyway and hr and the other person in management have admitted to the union that they were wrong for getting involved but have refused to apologize. I want to protect myself against the company, so should I seek legal counsel for them harnessing me and slandering my name?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2012, 07:31 AM
    The intern that went to hr was not fired because she was leaving in a week anyway and hr and the other person in management have admitted to the union that they were wrong for getting involved but have refused to apologize. I want to protect myself against the company, so should I seek legal counsel for them harnessing me and slandering my name?

What do you mean "harnessing" you? Harassing?

You can always ask an Attorney about your legal rights. Let him/her decide if you've been damaged to an extent that warrants a lawsuit.

Aug 20, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What do you mean "harnessing" you? Harassing?

You can always ask an Attorney about your legal rights. Let him/her decide if you've been damaged to an extent that warrants a lawsuit.
    Yes, sorry harassing. Autocorrect got me. Okay, thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Losing confidential information. [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a home health care agency, to remain nameless, as a nurse. I have a fellow co-worker who lost some patient iformation that was paper form with Personal information on it. She was fired for it and is being denied unemployment stating it was "misconduct." She reported the incident right...

Sharing information on Webpages [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently working on setting up an organization/group/type site. For one part of the site I want to include stats, facts, and real-life stories that I have found on various other websites. I plan to do this by adding it with my website in a "quote" function. Giving credit to the original site...

How do I report fraud to immigration and is that information confidential? [ 2 Answers ]

I was asked to write a letter of character for a japanese woman I used to work with. In the letter to immigration, I stated that she had a restraining order issued against her, which she did, by her then husband. Apparently she didn't want immigraiton to know this. She changed a line in the...

Sharing information on line [ 30 Answers ]

I've always been pretty careful about my identity but I got hooked on Facebook, posted photos, information, thought I had limited my circle to friends. I guess a stranger slipped into the mix - yesterday I got a most upsetting message from someone on Facebook, upsetting to the point where I have...

Confidential information in setting [ 1 Answers ]

What types of information should be treated confidentially in a nursery setting?

View more questions Search