Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doc P Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Duct fans vs zoning?
    Hello,

I planned on zoning my basement from main home level to save energy cost and convenience of thermostat in basement. Recently, I found duct fans which increase air in ducts to room lacking. If I put duct fans in each duct(put on own breaker of course) can I tap into existing ducts and get same results minus thermostat in basement? (also, there are only ducts for main level in home at this time, which are ran in basement.)

Thanks,
    Ron
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 7, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc P
    Hello,

I planned on zoning my basement from main home level to save energy cost and convenience of thermostat in basement. Recently, I found duct fans which increase air in ducts to room lacking. If I put duct fans in each duct(put on own breaker of course) can I tap into existing ducts and get same results minus thermostat in basement? (also, there are only ducts for main level in home at this time, which are ran in basement.)

Thanx,
    Ron
    My suggestion... at the thermostat the button or switch for the fan, put it in the on position this constant remixing of the air and redistribution will help make all the rooms of the home more equal.. the blower motor should be rated for continuous use and its less ware and tear on the motor as well

Mar 8, 2007, 10:18 AM
    How will leaving fan on constantly at theremostat compensate for the extra square footage in basement?

Thanks,
    Ron
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2007, 03:44 PM
    By constantly moving the air through out the house it will even out the temperature. Duct assist blower often are not worth the trouble, for one you are putting an obstuction in a duct with already poor air flow, secondly the motors are not very durable.

Mar 13, 2007, 06:27 AM
    (3) Heating & air companies told me my furnace was to small to cover the additional spaces in the basement, which is 1000 more sqft; do U believe leaving air on constantly will still work in this case? Thanks for the heads up on the duct fan also.

Ron
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 03:22 PM
    I don't see any information in these posts that would tell me the size and location of your home, full, daylight or walk out basement, BTU output of furnace.
    HVACxpert Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 20, 2007, 12:01 AM
    If I may... Allot of Hvac (not here per say) guys think that if your going to heat your basement your furnace won't be big enough.. Only true in very small numbers. Remember its already being Partially heated already.indirectly.. if not it would be close to the same as the outside temp. And heat rises so most of the heat that is being put into the basement is going up to the rest of the house. If it were me I'd zone it if possible. Set it up to use the return air from upstairs to be blown out basement supplies during continuos fan mode. Also probably going to get slack from the other fellas here for this one... but put no return air openings in basement. For allot of reasons, mainly adds to natural chimney effect. And when not heating basement it is still drawing return in Really cold air being blown up stairs when fan on continuos mode. Do not worry about the size unless for some unforseen reason you have twice as much heat loss in the basement than the rest of your house. In most cases only a small increase in gas consumption from heating the basement compared to not. As long as there is good insulation and little air infiltration.
    Dromedarius Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 20, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Zoning is usually only applied to very large houses. I don't know if your house is large or not but I do know zoning is expensive after the house is already ducted (in the thousands of dollars). I looked into zoning our new house (1238 sq. ft. on the main level) and I was told it wasn't worth it.

There are other options available, of course, such as a fireplace or electric baseboard heaters, if you don't want to upgrade your furnace. However, when a house is built, at least now, they size them to include finishing the basement in the future. Is your home an older home? If so, you might have a lot to gain just by purchasing a new furnace, which should be cheaper than zoning after the fact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fake zoning in two story house. [ 3 Answers ]

So I have the relatively common problem of non-uniform heating/cooling in my house and I'd like some input on how to make the best of the situation. I've put up with it for a couple years, but now, I'm at my breaking point. Basics: I have a 1600 sq ft, 15 year old, two story house with a...

Flexi Duct vrs Aluminum Duct [ 4 Answers ]

I am adding an addition onto my house. The local building inspector has already told me my HVAC unit is more than adequate in size to support the addition. The old duct vents are aluminum. Can or should I use flexi venting in the new part? What are the pros and cons of these two types of vent...

Duct Condensation [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have a vent in an upstairs bedroom that won't stop leaking. The furnace is in the attic almost above the room. The main duct from the plenum leads to the first duct which leads to the room in question. Upon removing the register grill, I sealed all around the "boot". In the...

Wiring duct fans to my existing furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. This is my first post on these here forums :) I have been searching on the internet for weeks without success. I have a Goodman B18099-13 Control Board on my furnace. I've installed multiple duct fans in my duct work in order to increase the airflow through my wall/floor...

View more questions Search