Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumbbob Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2005, 08:12 PM
    Kitchen sink slow to drain (sometimes)
    So I just finished a total gut and redo in the kitchen. Everything is working perfectly (drains nice and clean, etc.) and I was happy of a job done right.

My wife comes to tell me the sink is backed up and draining VERY slowly. I turn on the disposal and WHAM! The sink is empty again.

I can only make this happen when cleaning big pots and then dumping loads of water suddenly. Is that just a reality of the situation, or did I do a major boo boo in the venting?

I replaced all the pipes (both vent and drain) with 2" PVC so I'm sure they are open (at least to the basement where they join the main waste line to the sewer). I had a similar (but VERY regular) problem before the kitchen redo, so this is really annoying if I didn't actually solve it.

Help? Matt
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2005, 08:40 PM
    My disposal does the same thing. When there is lots of water in the sink it drains slowly unless the disposal is turned on. It gets much slower when there are food particles in the disposal. Sometimes it is good to get Roto Rooter or the equivalent (rent a sewer machine) and clean those disposal lines out if possible (if you think it may be blocking up on you... I just did this and things are running a bit faster).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2005, 09:17 PM
    The disposal has a holes all around the outside and an impeller that beats on any solid material in the disposal until it is small enough to go through the holes. With or without the disposal running, water goes down into to the disposal and out the same holes. If the water has solids to big to pass the holes, the solids build up and plug the holes. Turn the disposal on, and the solids are beat down to where they will go out the holes with the water behind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink drain [ 6 Answers ]

Maybe someone can help me figure out a new way to drain the kitchen sink. I have installed a new kitchen sink along with a garbage disposal. I am having problems with the drainage system. The drain is horizontal and is at a higher level than the discharge drain to the garbage disposal. Basically...

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Upstairs bathroom sink slow drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, again I am at my end with this sink... but still can't afford a plumber! It is the only drain in the house that has this problem. I just tried using my hose and a small nozzel to put high pressure water through the drain in an attempt to unclog it... well here is the funny thing......

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Slow sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have been having problems with my kitchen sink draining extremely slow. If I put any chemicals down the drain, there is no effect. I checked the trap and it is clean. If I clear it with a plunger it works great, completely drains and runs great for about 30 seconds and then backs up...

View more questions Search