Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    subhat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
    Us income tax for l1 visa holders
    On L1B visa. Came in July 2012. Will return on mar 2013.
    Wife and child in india(india passport holders). Might or might not come to usa.

What should be my filing status?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 03:59 PM
    If you arrived on or before 2 July 2012, you can file jointly regardless of WHERE your wife is located, but, by filing jointly, you MUST report ALL world-wide income. You can mitigate the taxes by claiming the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) for taxes paid to your home country.

If your wife and son come before 31 December 2012, you can also claim your child as a dependent and get the $1,000 Child Tax Credit. They WILL need to apply for Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITINs) by submitting Form W-7.

However, if you arrived after 2 July 2012, then you must file as a non-resident alien because you have not yet met the Substantial Presence Test (SPT) and will NOT if you leave by March 2013. You must wait until sometime in MAY 2013 to meet SPT, and you will NOT meet that requirement if you leave in March 2012.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal income tax for F1 visa holders [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working on OPT since June 2010 with F1 status. My employer is in Texas. He is deducting almost 18.75% Federal income tax from my pay stub. Please suggest me should I pay that tax. If yes, How can I save the most of it. Are there any other taxes, which I have to pay. Thanks...

Us income tax for l1 visa holders [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US from India on L1 VISA on Oct 12, 2009 and planning to stay for more than 1 year. I got my W2 from my employer, I have some queries regarding the Tax filing - 1. Can I file the Tax as a Resident? 2. Do I need to wait till the completion of 183 days, which will be on April 13,...

Tax on Income for L1b Visa holders in MA [ 2 Answers ]

What will be the amount of Tax on income including Medicare and Social security for L1B visa holders in MA for the following amounts $48000, $50000, $60000 for Single

Do L2 visa holders with EAD but no income need to file fed tax returns? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an indian and I am spouse of a Non resident Alien Status person. My status is that I received an Employment Authorization (EAD) in Year 2007, have a SSN and I am L2 Visa status but did not have any income. I stayed in US for less than 183 days and never been to US earlier. Do I need...

Interest income for G-4 visa holders. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi! I know that earned income is not taxable for G-4 visa holders, but what about bank interest income? Is there a limit/threshold? For instance, if I earned over $5,000.00 in interest for the year in deposit accounts, is some of that taxable? Also, if I filed taxes with my spouse (who...

View more questions Search