Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Koko4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Unsafe work environment law- Hawaii
    I work in a homeless shelter and I feel it is very vital to keep staff and member in a safe environment.

A new rule was put into place were the "member" who has violated a rule of the shelter will be notified immediatately by a "shelter lead".
    Example: I see a rule violation as I walk pass a member (the member see's me).
    I call the shelter lead and they approach the member and states " what you have done is a rule violation".

Thus the member KNOWS it me who had just turn them in for this violation because I was the only staff to see this violation

Thus creates a hostile environment towards me by the member.
    Where as before I would log in the incident and the violation would be addressed at a later time so it keep me from any confrontation by a member and anonymous.

I addressed my concerns for my safety only to have a response of " we are not here to make people happy, so if you can't handle the lash back, then this job is not for you".
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2012, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko4u View Post
    I work in a homeless shelter and I feel it is very vital to keep staff and member in a safe enviroment.

A new rule was put into place were the "member" who has violated a rule of the shelter will be notified immediatately by a "shelter lead".
    Example: I see a rule violation as I walk pass a member (the member see's me).
    I call the shelter lead and they approach the member and states " what you have done is a rule violation".

Thus the member KNOWS it me who had just turn them in for this violation because I was the only staff to see this violation

Thus creates a hostile environment towards me by the member.
    Where as before I would log in the incident and the violation would be addressed at a later time so it keep me from any confrontation by a member and anonymous.

I addressed my concerns for my safety only to have a response of " we are not here to make people happy, so if you can't handle the lash back, then this job is not for you".
    I see no law addressing this. Are you saying that if a specific violation is reported the offender won't remember which of the workers saw it? How long was the time frame between reporting and discussing the incident?

I don't find the policy to be unreasonable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unsafe working environment [ 3 Answers ]

I am wondering if I've been in a unsafe working environment.Today I got into a dispute with a fellow coworker and he threatened to punch me in the face.I got upset afterwards and walked out.I did say a few things on way out but nothing any worse than he said to me before and I got fired and nothing...

Law of Consent in Hawaii ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm 15 & my boyfriend is 17 , are we allowed to have sex? And what about when he turns 18?

What constitutes an "unsafe work environment"? [ 7 Answers ]

My company is currently experiencing severe issues with power problems (caused at least partially by the local energy company). This has resulted in power surges, power losses, and "brown outs". It has also caused us to lose air conditioning in much of our building. My office is an...

UPS unsafe work practices [ 3 Answers ]

Someone tell me how one of the riches companies in the world is able with the aid of the union to make their truck mechanics work with broken tools, no truck lifts(taking out and replacing a trans is pretty difficult to do on a creeper) no tire trucks(they have to jack the truck up as if it were a...

Labor law/hostile work environment [ 4 Answers ]

I was acting supervisor on my job last week. Iwe all carry weapons at this job. I gave an order to one of the employees and she flipped. She began to curse at me very loudly, she called people on her personal phone to talk about me loud enough so that I could her. As a matter of fact, she was...

View more questions Search