Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherylanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 08:21 PM
    I think I have a forgotten 401 k account
    How do I find a forgotten 401 K account from about 20 years ago?
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2012, 11:25 PM
    I am aware of a couple of reliable websites.

You can check by entering your last name in the Unclaimed Pension box on the bottom left of the page at Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp - PBGC Protects America's Pensions

You should also double check by entering your SSN at https://www.unclaimedretirementbenefits.com/

Hope this helps and good luck!

Didi
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2012, 03:29 AM
    Did you try contacting the employer?

When you file for Social Security benefits, they will let you know if you have any other retirement benefits due.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Did you try contacting the employer?
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    When you file for Social Security benefits, they will let you know if you have any other retirement benefits due.
    Are you sure that the Social Security Administration is aware of individual 401(k) accounts? Where have you read that?

Aug 10, 2012, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Good advice.

Are you sure that the Social Security Administration is aware of individual 401(k) accounts? Where have you read that?
    When I was administering 401(k) plans I remember having to file with SSA when an employee left the company without getting a distribution from the plan. As I recall it was an ERISA requirement. But that was Mumble years ago,
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
    I found this on the SSA site:

Pension benefits under private retirement plans

Aug 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Yep sounds like what I referred to. ERISA governs both defined benefit and defined contribution plans. So 401(k)s would come under "Private retirement plans".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is bank account a real type of account or personal account [ 2 Answers ]

Types of account are three types that is real account,nominal account and personal account.I need to know, is bank account a real account or personal nature. Please also need to know about type of accountprovision for bad debt and provision for taxation

If employee dies before paying back 401 k can spouse repay 401 k [ 3 Answers ]

My husband took a loan from his 401K a month or two before he died. The repayment was scheduled through his payroll deductions. Is it advisable for me to repay the loan in full OR can I make monthly payments to the loan as he had been doing OR just continue with the 401K minus what was borrowed?

401 Withdrawal & Transfer to IRA Account [ 6 Answers ]

401k has dropped from 184k to around 100k. I have resigned employment with the company. If I roll over 401k assets to an IRA. Will the lower existing amount be transferred and the loss recognized or can the amount still have a chance to rise to previous higher amounts? If the existing amount...

View more questions Search