Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 08:08 PM
    Cashing out IRA
    I live in California and have green card. If I relocate outside US more than 2 yrs, do you recommend I cash out IRA before leaving or how long should I wait to minimize or eliminate state and federal taxes? I know I can't avoid penalty if I'm less than 591/2. Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 08:12 PM
    You know the Current Green card requirements don't allow you to leave for 2+ years and NOT lose the green card?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
    I almost ALWAYS recommend keeping the IRA IN the United States until you treach retirement age. You can manage the account via the Internet from anywhere in the world.

If you cash it out early, expect to pay AT LEAST 25% in taxes and maybe as much as 40%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

CA state tax and penalty for cashing out IRA [ 2 Answers ]

I have green card and relocating permanently outside USA. How long if I stay outside USA, do I NOT need to pay California state tax on my US income? I'm looking for the best time to cashout my IRA. If I overstay, I cannot re-enter with the green card. Will I be subjected to 25% withholding if I...

Cashing out part of IRA or ROTH IRA due to Hardship [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me what are the reasons that you can claim hardship on an IRA or ROTH IRA? I have been unemployed for over a year and need to cashing some of my IRA to just pay bills and live. Are there penalties and taxes that need to be paid on this money? Thanks,

Rolling 90% of 401k into IRA and cashing out balance [ 1 Answers ]

Since I am no expert on this, let me first say what I have heard, and then you can correct me if needed. I have heard that if someone age 55 or older retires from their employer, and is no longer a active employee, that they can cash out their 401k monies and only pay regular income tax on it, no...

Needed ira early tax penalty must be paid from ira too [ 2 Answers ]

:( Unfortunately My Retirement Was Placed In An Ira. Thought I Would Work Longer. Unemployed Only Money Is My Ira I Have Been Using It Now For Three Years To Live On And I'm Currently 58. Each Year I Owe Taxes On The Previous Year And Penalties, But My Only Money Is The Ira So I Must Take...

View more questions Search