Ask
    elherron Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 07:24 PM
    Insulation over knob and tube?
    Can you spray cellulose insulation over knob and tube wiring in a attic
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 07:42 PM
    No... when the humidity level goes up you could create a conductive path that could result in a fire due to old aged and possibly defective wiring. (cracked or damaged insulation)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2012, 02:47 AM
    Section 394.12 of the 2008 edition of the National Electric Code states:

Uses Not Permitted
    (5) Hollow spaces of walls, ceilings, and attics where such spaces are insulated by loose, rolled, or foamed-inplace insulating material that envelops the conductors.

The reason is that knob and tube wiring was designed to operate in open air. Any insulation covering K&T wiring will cause the wiring to overheat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground on knob and tube [ 2 Answers ]

I have knob and tube wireing in my home and I am putting in some new lights and I am woundering if I need to hook the ground up or not some one told me no I didn't but they arnt working and I had lights that worked before can some one help me please before I rip out the rest of my hair

Tube and knob wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering what Tube And Knob wiring is. My house was constructed in 1952.

Replacing Knob and Tube [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for a little clarification here. I'm in the process of replacing the Knob and Tube wiring in an older 1930 home. Although I trying to preserve the original look of the house the K&T prevents me from installing insulation in the attic. Originally there was only one circuit running into...

Tieing in to knob and tube [ 3 Answers ]

When tieing in 14/2 at switch box, what do you do with the neutrals?

Tieing knob and tube to 14/2 [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to tie knob and tube wiring into 14/2 wiring. This is a hundred plus year old house and I want to upgrade... Thank you Lou G.

View more questions Search