Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rickweyauwega Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 05:56 AM
    Squealing Harley
    I had some play ion my clutch handle and adjusted the play out of cable and changed trans oil now my 2001 road king squeals when I engage clutch what to do help
    PeterHD13 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 08:04 AM
    If this is a cable operated clutch there is supposed to be about a quarter of an inch or more free play at the handle. You can get a way with a bit less but as the bike heats up this free play can disappear and cause the clutch to drag which can lead to a slipping clutch and excessive wear on the plates. The clutch rod can wear as it is in contact with the faces of the clutch ramp and clutch adjuster.

I check free play by removing the derby cover and making sure when I pull the clutch that first little bit that the clutch pressure plate doesn't move out.

Also if your not sure if you may have worn your plates due to having no free play the gap at the handle bar betweet the lever and the stop. Go to the cable adjuster and loosen it right off take of the derby cover. Using a ring spanner and allen key undo the lock nut on the adjuster wind out the adjuster so it is free of the clutch rod. Then turn the adjuster in until you feel it just touch the rod. It stops. Then wind it out a half to 3 quarter of a turn and lock it off. Retighten the lock nut while holding the adjuster screw at it's present position with the appropriate allen key so it doesn't move as you tighten the lock nut. Now take up the cable adjustment until your lever has about a quarter of an inch free play before you see the pressure plate move. Put the derby cover back on after cleaning it and go for a test ride. As long as your fibre plates aren't badly worn or you have other clutch damage it should be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squealing pipes [ 1 Answers ]

We have a loud squealing noise from the pipes of a bathtub. Installed a new bathtub/shower diverter a month or so ago. The pipes squeal and to get the squeal to stop, we have to run the bathtub water for a moment or two and then SLOWLY turn it off. The sink faucet in the same bathroom, if...

Squealing faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Our kitchen faucet squeals when turned on. What causes this and how do you fix it.

Squealing after flushing [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my toilet began making high pitched squealing noise after flushing. I have been told it is air in the line, if so how do I fix it. If not what is causing it and how do I fix it? This is the bathroom that is used for all company that visits my home and is a little embarrassing. Please help.

Squealing dryer [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry. Meant for this post to go here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/appliances/squeaky-clothes-dryer-20960-4.html Mods, feel free to delete this topic. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Glad I found this place and...

Furnace squealing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, we have an "Airco" brand furnace that dates to the 60s. It's well-maintained. However, it has just started to emit an erratic, loud squealing noise. We changed the belt (and filter) to no avail. We cannot see anywhere to add oil. Is there anything else we could try? Thanks!

View more questions Search