Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kikimcl Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Aug 8, 2012, 05:28 PM
    Dodge intrepid no start
    I have a 02 dodge intrepid 3.5 litter. When I turn the key all it does is make a click noise- Its not even rolling over. I was told that it was the ignition switch and had changed that. The same issue is happening. Also I have a new starter and alt. Can someone please help as to where to start. If it could be something simple. Again its just a click when I go to start it
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 05:32 PM
    Install a new battery and your problem will likely be solved. Get the auto parts store to charge the new battery, prior to installation. This will help prevent burning out your alternator, which is a battery maintainer, not a charger.

Most auto parts stores will test and charge batteries for free. They will also test alternators and starters for free.

When you have starting problems, always begin troubleshooting with the battery. After you know it's good, clean the battery terminals and cable connections, including those that go to the starter motor (disconnect the negative battery cable first). Apply dielectric compound to connections.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Aug 9, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Do what TxGM says as a starting point. Then check for battery voltage on the light green wire at the starter motor when the key is in the START position. If no voltage, check fuse V in the power distribution center. That fuse powers the starter motor relay. If fuse is good, try swapping the starter motor relay with another one of the same part number. If that still doesn't work, yank the relay and check for power in and ground to the relay control coil terminals A & C in the socket. The PCM provides ground to the relay control coil.

Here's a wiring diagram that's similar to yours. It's for a minivan, but darn close to what you've got.

Starter motor wiring diagram
    nowbro1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 08:15 AM
    I have a 02 dodge intrepid the car cranks real fast, but won't start. I call my mechanic he said it can be the timing belt... can anyone give me some help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 dodge intrepid 2.7 won't start [ 10 Answers ]

Hi my name is omar. I recently have beeen having trouble w/my car starting, 1st it wouldn't start unless I tapped on the starter while someone turned the key, and it started, so I replaced the starter. The car started w/no problems for a couple of days now its doing the same thing and I still have...

Dodge Intrepid Motor [ 12 Answers ]

Anyone ever owned or a mechanical expert with dodge intrepids? Is it true that the engines are bad and that you can't change the timing chain. I have a 1999.:confused:

1996 Dodge Intrepid~ Doesn't start, single click [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I'm having some problems with my car- it's a 96 Intrepid, 3.3 L, V6 with 136k miles. I bought it last year, and it has some serious steering issues, but other than that it has always run well. A few weeks ago, it died in the store's parking lot (engine turned over but didn't catch). ...

My 2002 dodge intrepid won't start it just clicks. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid 2.7. It ran all day perfectly fine and then when I came home and went back out to it 3 hours later to start it it just clicked and the lights flickered. We tried jumping it and it ran for a min and died. We jumped it again and as soon as we took the cables off it died....

Thermostat dodge intrepid [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get to the thermostat on my 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES?

View more questions Search