Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DarkAngel_1990 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 04:46 PM
    How to help my dog with diabetes get over being sick
    I know I'm going to get jumped on for this but I have been rescuing dogs and cats sense I was very young and I have a 9 year old rottwiler lab mix that I rescued at about 6 months old she had been beaten starved sevrial of her litter mates had been killed by the oweners or cars anyway she has been diinsosied with diabetes about a month ago and now she has stopped eatting I have been force feeding her for a week now and she is not getting any better I can't take her to the vet for I have a nowborn, health problems and no income as of may she had an alergic reation to a fla medican right before this started I have put her on antibotics and vitamen past if is there any advice please I could use it I fear she is going to die she is very weak
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel_1990 View Post
    i know im going to get jumped on for this but i have been rescuing dogs and cats sence i was very young and i have a 9 year old rottwiler lab mix that i rescued at about 6 months old she had been beaten starved sevrial of her litter mates had been killed by the oweners or cars anyways she has been diinsosied with diabetes about a month ago and now she has stoped eatting i have been force feeding her for a week now and she is not getting any better i can't take her to the vet for i have a nowborn, health problems and no income as of may she had an alergic reation to a fla medican right before this started i have put her on antibotics and vitamen past if is there any advice please i could use it i fear she is going to die she is very weak

You apparently don't understand diabetes. It's the inability of the body to convert sugar into energy. That's a VERY basic explanation. Vitamins, antibiotics, things of that nature are ineffective because they don't address the problem.

Yes, there is a really good possibility she will die a slow and painful death. Her kidneys will shut down.

You are not doing her any favors by holding on to her. Either give her to someone who can afford her Vet visits and insulin or call your local animal shelter.

She isn't sick. She IS diabetic. A diabetic death is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE death.

Force feeding her is very possibly making it worse, depending on what you are force feeding her.

I had a diabetic dog; my husband DIED from the side effects of diabetes.

Please - she is suffering. She looks to you for help. Help her.

Can you just sit there, wringing your hands, while you watch her die?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 8, 2012, 05:11 PM
    I'll refrain from jumping on you and urge you to think of the dogs well being.
    Diabetes can be tricky it must be monitored and managed carefully, this can get expensive.
    Is she on insulin? You know this will be life long for her.
    If you truly cannot afford to care for her properly then do her a favor and consider euthanasia or surrendering her to someone who can properly care for her.
    There is no shame in either of these things if done with the best interest of the dog at the heart of it.

Aug 9, 2012, 12:20 PM
    No she is not on insulin and I'm force feeding her boiled chicken, chicken liver, fresh veggies and fruit with rice blinded about 100 cc every 2 to 4 hours and she had an alergic reaction and a infection that I treeted and she is not bouncing back that's why I said she was sick I I know about Diabetes some of my family have it or the oppisite including me I am not getting rid of her or putting her down I jujt want help on what I can do to help speed her healing I have dealt with worse like parvo in 11 puppies and akk are alive and well the vet told me that the only reason they all did so well is because of how much I did that even they did not have the staff or time now I hardly slept for 3 weeks and was pushing fluds and any thing I could get in them intell they got brtter I can do this money or not I just want some advice from some one that has dealt with it longer than I have in dogs
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 12:41 PM
    no she is not on insulin and im force feeding her boiled chicken, chicken liver, fresh veggies and fruit with rice blinded about 100 cc every 2 to 4 hours and she had an alergic reaction and a infection that i treeted and she is not bouncing back thats why i said she was sick i i know about Diabetes some of my family have it or the oppisite including me i am not getting rid of her or putting her down i jujt want help on what i can do to help speed her healing i have dealt with worse like parvo in 11 puppies and akk are alive and well the vet told me that the only reason they all did so well is because of how much i did that even thay did not have the staff or time now i hardly slept for 3 weeks and was pushing fluds and any thing i could get in them intell thay got brtter i can do this money or not i just want some advice from some one that has dealt with it longer than i have in dogs

You are feeding a diabetic dog fruit! Who advised that?

What is the opposite of Diabetes?

She won't HEAL. It's not a problem like an infection or a broken leg. She isn't converting sugar to energy (and I see it's pointless to get any more complicated here than that), and you are feeding her FRUIT! Diabetes is a disease, not an illness.

I had a diabetic dog. She lived to be 12 - on insulin and monthly Vet visits. And, yes, eventually her kidneys failed. It comes with the disease.

I'm not saying Parvo is or isn't worse. Maybe they're the same. What does that matter? Parvo is NOT permanent; Diabetes is. Parvo is curable. Diabetes is not. Amazing if you had 11 puppies with Parvo and they all survived, truly amazing. Good for you.

Diabetes is not Parvo. If you have a history of Diabetes (and I need you to explain the medical opposite to me) then you know how quickly people (and animals) can go into shock, how terrible kidney failure is, that kidneys do not "come back" with medication.

I don't understand your point of view here.

You want help getting your Diabetic dog over being sick. Diabetes is not a sickness. Diabetes is a disease, an uncurable disease. What else do you want to know?

Aug 9, 2012, 12:56 PM
    Small amounts like oranges to give her vitamen c and natral suger is not as bad as other sugar and I know Diabetes is not a sickness she got sick after getting diensosed with Diabetes ( an infection) and the oppisite of Diabetes is hypoglycemia and I have that
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 01:12 PM
    small amounts like oranges to give her vitamen c and natral suger is not as bad as other sugar and i know Diabetes is not a sickness she got sick after getting diensosed with Diabetes ( an infection) and the oppisite of Diabetes is hypoglycemia and i have that

Here's my source and the info: "Hypoglycemia happens from time to time to everyone who has diabetes - Check blood glucose levels to determine when your level is low; Learn to identify the symptoms of hypoglycemia so you can treat it quickly; Treat hypoglycemia by raising your blood glucose level with some form of sugar. Hypoglycemia, sometimes called an insulin reaction, can happen even during those times when you're doing all you can to manage your diabetes. So, although many times you can't prevent it from happening, hypoglycemia can be treated before it gets worse. For this reason, it's important to know what hypoglycemia is, what symptoms of hypoglycemia are, and how to treat hypoglycemia." Hypoglycemia (Low blood glucose) - American Diabetes Association

Right, oranges are not as bad as other fruits.

So, again, what is your question.

Aug 9, 2012, 01:26 PM
    She has stopped eatting I have been force feeding her for a week now and she is not getting any better I can't take her to the vet for I have a nowborn, health problems and no income as of may she had an alergic reation to a fla medican and an infection right before this started I have put her on antibotics and vitamen past
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 01:28 PM
    she has stoped eatting i have been force feeding her for a week now and she is not getting any better i can't take her to the vet for i have a nowborn, health problems and no income as of may she had an alergic reation to a fla medican and an infection right before this started i have put her on antibotics and vitamen past

I already answered this - as did Ladysam.

Aug 9, 2012, 01:38 PM
    I want to know what I can do to help her get better sense I can't take her to the vet
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 01:48 PM
    i want to know what i can do to help her get better sence i can't take her to the vet

Read my first post - she's diabetic. She needs/requires insulin. There is NO home remedy for diabetes. You can't mix up your own batch of insulin. You are giving a diabetic dog that is NOT on insulin oranges which contain sugar which is "better" than other types of sugar, but sugar nevertheless.

Quite frankly while you're fooling around here her organs - kidneys, heart - are being damaged by the highs and lows in her blood sugar.

If you can't afford her, take her to someone who can. Everyone who posts here isn't independently wealthy. I think we've all BEGGED a Vet at one time or another for help, for a payment plan, for something to help our dogs. I took a THIRD job at one time in my life because I had a life and death situation with a much loved GSD. A lot of us had made really tough decisions this past year when it's come to our pets. In some cases it was a partially financial decision. In other cases it was not.

Did you read what I posted? My late husband was a highly educated man, a college professor, a practicing Doctor of Pharmacy. He was Diabetic. He had all the time and money and resources to manage his Diabetes. The lows and highs permanently damaged his kidneys and heart and intestines. He died a TERRIBLE death - despite the time and money and resources.

You have diabetics in your family. Is someone force feeding them and not providing access to insulin?

And you are sentencing your dog to that and simply cannot understand that diabetes is NOT a sickness and there IS no cure.

What else do you possibly want anyone to say?

Good that you saved 11 puppies with Parvo. Your Vet says - or so you posted - that you are totally responsible for them living and dying. Show the same consideration to this dog. Get help for your dog!

You have computer access. Give it up. Use that money to help your dog.

I cannot believe your cruelty, I simply cannot.

Aug 9, 2012, 02:00 PM
    No you are not getting it I know its not an sinkness what I am saying she got sick and I can't give her to someone I have no one that can take care of her and I'm not putting her down so help me or quit posting
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 02:31 PM
    no you are not getting it i know its not an sinkness what i am saying she got sick and i can't give her to someone i have no one that can take care of her and im not putting her down so help me or quit posting
    Without insulin, she will die. There is no other way to help her.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 02:40 PM
    no you are not getting it i know its not an sinkness what i am saying she got sick and i can't give her to someone i have no one that can take care of her and im not putting her down so help me or quit posting
    Excuse me for shouting - you can't help her! What is it that you are not understanding?

You call a rescue, you call the SPCA, you call the Animal Control Officer. How do you think I ended up with a diabetic dog?

She was a surrender because she was diabetic.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 04:13 PM
    What do you not understand? The lack of appetite is most likely directly related to the diabetes.
    So you are shoving food into her, your own mixture of this and that.
    Was this advised by your vet, did your vet not stress the need to you that you regulate the blood glucose and get her on an insulin dosage that will work to help keep her glucose in check?
    What exactly are you calling sick?the fact that she is not eating.
    I'm confused, I've seen the words diabetes, allergic reaction and sick, to you what is sick?

Since you are not believing what Judy is telling you I will leave this web site to read

Canine Diabetes Center

Be sure to read the section on Diabetic Ketoacidosis, which is probably what your dog is experiencing now.
    What I don't understand is how you can rescue a dog from starvation, beatings and whatever else and then when unable or unwilling to help her you turn your nose up at euthanasia which is much more humane goodbye than the one you are planning to give her. You need to help her if you can't, then find someone who can.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Let me try to explain, even though you haven't listened so far, or really don't understand.

She isn't sick of something you, or we, can cure. She is diabetic, and the way she's acting right now is because she's not getting treatment for her diabetes.

You stated that you can't afford the treatment. So really, you only have a few options. You asked for advice, and you've gotten the only advice that can help your dog. Here are your options.

1. Find the money to take her to the vet and get the insulin she needs.

2. Take her to the shelter, they'll treat her, and find her a new home, one that's willing and able to provide her with the medicine she needs to live.

3. Put her to sleep.

4. Watch her die a slow and painful death.

Those are your only options. There aren't any other options. This is not a cold, or even parvo. You can't cure this by feeding her rice and chicken, or any other home remedy. This dog needs insulin, she's diabetic!

I don't understand how you're not realizing that this is life or death, no matter what you want to do.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2012, 10:46 PM
    I see that you are in a very difficult situation and my heart goes out to you and your dog. She obviously requires ongoing veterinary care and due to life circumstances beyond your control you find yourself unable to care for her properly at this time. Regardless, due to your dog's condition she definitely requires treatment right now. So, if you can't afford to take your dog to the vet you need to find another option. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to help her yourself or that anyone on a forum can help you with the treatment she needs. However, there are alternatives.

Please check out the following websites that might help you find a means of being able to provide your dog with the necessities of life... I think you will find them helpful.

Having Trouble Affording Veterinary Care? : The Humane Society of the United States

Financial Assistance for Veterinary Care | Animal Compassion Network (ACN)

I hope that the information on those pages help you to get your pet the medical care she so dearly deserves. If not, then I would strongly suggest you turn her over to a suitable dog rescue or the SPCA in your area. As much as it hurts, you must put the best interests of your gal at heart. I think you will find a means of providing her with what she needs if your read the links that I provided though. I do hope you can get her the help she needs before it's too late. Please let us know how things go.

Hugs,
    Didi
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2012, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi View Post
    Please check out the following websites that might help you find a means of being able to provide your dog with the necessities of life... I think you will find them helpful.

She should start by talking to HER Vet in her town - she is not willing to do this although she apparently knows the Vet well.

Any "assistance" in my area (and, as far, as I know, the US) needs information from the Veterinarian. I've worked enough fund raisers to have experience in this area. If the dog is no longer eating and being forced fed - well, see what the Vet recommends.

The owner needs to take the first step - and she also needs to face reality.

It's a very bad situation all the way around - and sad.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 05:30 AM
    Whod o you do rescue through? Maybe they can help. Either way this is not something you can treat at home. Surrender her to the spca or watch her die slowly and painfully at your hands. Even euthanasia would be less cruel at this point.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    She should start by talking to HER Vet in her town - she is not willing to do this although she apparently knows the Vet well.
    While I agree, I think that before jumping you might want to actually check out the one website I recommended ( http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html ) as it very clearly lists ways of working with your veterinarian. In addition, I don't know where this person lives, but I do know that where I live it would be very expensive to treat this dog, no matter how much negotiating I did with my regular vet. As a general rule, all of my pets receive the very best of veterinary care. However, when I was recently widowed, dealing with my adopted daughter's Reactive Attachment Disorder regression, having heart issues, suffering from depression (just to name a few things) I found it extremely difficult to cope with a serious health condition that our rescued kitten was found to have.

I was very fortunate to have people in my life who could offer me hope instead of blame. Should I have given up our kitten who had the worst heart condition 3 vets had ever seen? Would she have had a better life? No. She had already been through enough, and quite frankly so had I. Thanks to the people I spoke of earlier I actually felt like I had options and hope. There are times in people's lives where circumstances just leave you feeling helpless. Rather than have people jump all over you and drag you further down a pit of perceived helplessness and despair, I feel it's better to treat them with respect and empathy and offer alternatives that enable them to take the appropriate action.

You may not agree with me, and that's fine. However, in my nearly 60 years of life and over 40 years of working both with and for animals and people, I have learned that I get better results when I treat BOTH with compassion and understanding so I will continue to do so. I'm all about whatever WORKS to resolve a situation and I don't feel blame, shame and personal attacks works in the majority of situations. In fact, I feel that it is usually counter-productive. Of course this is just my experience...

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One sick dog and one healthy dog, Healthy dog quit eating [ 4 Answers ]

I have two dogs, a male bassett and a femal black lab mix. Ever since the basset got sick last week and went blind in one eye my healthy dog has quit eating. She wants outside all the time and sits at the door when not outside. The healthy dog will only eat treats and not her regular food that...

Just beentold my little dog has diabetes and she is not eating what can I do ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rat Terrier with diabetes. I just brought her home to try to get her to eat. The vet offered her all kinds of foods, I went in twice to try to get her to eat, on the second time she ate a few bites of chicken and steak. But since I got her home she has not eaten anything. Brought her home...

Dog with cushings decease and diabetes [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 yr. old springer spaniel female that has recently been diagnosed with cushings decease and diabetes. I am giving her cushings meds 2x a week and insulin 2x a day (Lantis) her glucose level is in the mid 300s at this point which is down from high 400s before. She is slightly better...

Sick Cats with diabetes & possible tumor [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going crazy & need to help my sick cats. My Dad just passed away & I don't have a lot of money. I have 2 - 13 year old cats who are sisters. The one has diabetes & was diagnosed about 3 years ago. She is my bad cat. She is big & bossy & cost me a lot of $ throughout her life (more than any...

Epileptic dog with diabetes insipidus [ 13 Answers ]

I have a staffie who is 4.5years old he has been epileptic since jan 07 he has fits every 28 days and they are multiple the most being 12 in one day.he always cluster fits. He is being medicated with phenabarbatone(240mg/day) and potassium bromide(650mg/day) however he still has the seizures.when...

View more questions Search