Aug 8, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Windows Explorer is using CPU
    When I open Windows Explorer it uses up all CPU
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 8, 2012, 02:51 PM
    And ?
    What OS?
    Does it settle down to normal levels once windows has fully loaded?
    Have you made any recent changes?
    JDKappel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    And ?
    What OS ??
    Does it settle down to normal levels once windows has fully loaded?
    Have you made any recent changes ??
    Windows XP, SP3. On an older (2002) Gateway Laptop. I have not downloaded any software lately, except Norton PC Checkup--which found nothing on my computer causing problems. I have run Malware and the full Norton virus check. Nothing shows problems.

Whenever I open Windows Explorer, it uses 85-95% CPU, essentially using all CPU as other programs need some. This started just recently, but weeks after I downloaded Norton PC Checkup.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 8, 2012, 03:05 PM
    Norton + XP = WORLD OF HURT!!

Serious dump that as your FIRST option..

There's some useful maintenance tips here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput...rs-233870.html

Slightly out of date, but you get the idea..
    ComputerHelpers Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Aug 8, 2012, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDKappel View Post
    Windows XP, SP3. on an older (2002) Gateway Laptop. I have not downloaded any software lately, except Norton PC Checkup--which found nothing on my computer causing problems. I have run Malware and the full Norton virus check. Nothing shows problems.

Whenever I open Windows Explorer, it uses 85-95% CPU, essentially using all CPU as other programs need some. This started just recently, but weeks after I downloaded Norton PC Checkup.
    PC checkup is a total cpu/memory hog. Curlyben is right

I use this disk optimizer which runs in background, and perfect for older pc's

free trial here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting my windows xp cpu to my windows 7 laptop [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on a C.P.U. WITH WINDOWS XP os and I want it on my windows 7 laptop display.

My windows is failing to start,and the cpu is heated up,why? [ 5 Answers ]

My cpu is heated up,knowing that the system didn't start yet.. so the system is opening the safe mode and start windows normally page,so whatever I choose,the system restarts after it loads to the page where the windows is starting ,then it restarts.

CPU Usage 100% and Windows Shut Down Issues [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! I'm studying abroad and need to fix my computer asap. I have a Windows XP SP2 machine and have been having a few problems. The first is that CPU usage has been at 100% for the past few days. Also, for about a week I have not been able to shut down my computer without manually hitting...

Explorer.exe at 100% CPU Usage Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm on my laptop explorer.exe starts to use 100% of the CPU and I can't figure out y. It lasts about 10-20 minutes form when I start the computer and occasionally lowers then peaks again to 100%. I really need to figure this out because the cooling fan comes on and its really starting to get...

Explorer.exe is using 15,000K to 22,000K Memory, and up to 99%CPU usage [ 2 Answers ]

I do not use explorer for internet browsing, but when I am using windows explorer to select a file to open-- it freezes up at times. Sometimes it keeps going, but very, very, very slowly. The lowest that Mem Usage drops to is 15,000 and that is when only Task Manager is open, otherwise it is at...

View more questions Search