Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snookie51 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 01:59 PM
    Non paid vacation
    I was docked non paid vacation hours. I don't receive paid vacation or paid holidays or sick pay or any benefits. I am paid hourly salary. I also want to note I worked the 40 hr week by making up the time before the end of the week but was still docked for vacation hours "not paid"... I never heard of this before. Can you please explain how this can be.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 02:05 PM
    Your employer doesn't have to allow you to "make time up". If you didn't work a day or part of it... you aren't entitled to make it up if you feel like it later without their expressed permission to do so in advance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2012, 02:37 PM
    You can not "make up time" you can and need to be paid for any authorized hours worked.You are paid for hours worked, not paid when you don't work

Aug 9, 2012, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Your employer doesn't have to allow you to "make time up". If you didn't work a day or part of it...you aren't entitled to make it up if you feel like it later without their expressed permission to do so in advance.
    OK so maybe Im not being clear. I was paid for hours worked.I don't have a problem with this . However I was given a slip that shows a balance of non paid vacation days I have left. I was never told that I would only have a set amount of non paid vacation hours or that I would be docked for them by leaving work early even after I worked a full 40 hr week. My supervisor never heard of this before and he had given his permission but the owners book keeper is the one who gave me this slip. Basiscally I left work early on 2 fridays for commitment I had and worked full 40 hrs to make up for time I needed to be off. I stayed late and came in early and my sup was fine with this but like I said the controller (her title) was the one who gave this slip to me. When I was hired I was never told this info.

Aug 9, 2012, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You can not "make up time" you can and need to be paid for any authorized hours worked.You are paid for hours worked, not paid when you don't work
    OK so maybe Im not being clear. I was paid for hours worked.I don't have a problem with this . However I was given a slip that shows a balance of non paid vacation days I have left. I was never told that I would only have a set amount of non paid vacation hours or that I would be docked for them by leaving work early even after I worked a full 40 hr week. My supervisor never heard of this before and he had given his permission but the owners book keeper is the one who gave me this slip. Basiscally I left work early on 2 fridays for commitment I had and worked full 40 hrs to make up for time I needed to be off. I stayed late and came in early and my sup was fine with this but like I said the controller (her title) was the one who gave this slip to me. When I was hired I was never told this info.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 01:28 PM
    And it sounds like the controller is doing the books properly

Aug 9, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And it sounds like the controller is doing the books properly
    So its okay to doc unpd vacation hrs and not educate someone of this at hiring?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrongfully evicted in New Hampshire for money supposedly not paid but has been paid [ 3 Answers ]

Owner wants me evicted for not paying 452.00 but I paid it, sent sheriff to apartment with a letter telling me to go to court, I talked to manager of apartments told them that I already paid the money she said I didn't have to go to court. Now yesterday in the mail I get a letter saying that...

Paid vacation for full time housekeeper? [ 11 Answers ]

What is the standard for vacation time for full time live out housekeepers?

How do I respond when an employee asks to extend vacation days while on vacation? [ 2 Answers ]

Employee asked for Monday off for vacay. Approved. Then, Monday evening, she called me to ask for Tuesday off. She is an employee who has done this before, giving reasons that have to do with her son and his father spending more time, etc.etc. I'm all for family time, but feel that this is...

I paid taxes for 2007, now have amended refund, what about money I paid [ 1 Answers ]

I paid $4000 with taxes for 2007, now have amended refund of $5300. Should I received back money with an original return I paid?

I was suppose to get paid Thursday December 24, 2009 and still have not been paid. [ 5 Answers ]

My employer was suppose to pay me last Thursday, we were not paid. What are my rights?

View more questions Search