Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Talia59 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 02:05 PM
    When issuing common stock to pay a creditor how do you account for the journal record
    Weldon Engineering owes one of its creditors $20,000. To settle the debt, Weldon pays
    $5,000 cash and also issues common stock valued at $15,000 to the creditor.
    How would this repayment of the $20,000 debt be recorded in Weldon's books?
    A. Debit common stock $15,000; debit debt owed $5,000; credit cash $20,000
    B. Debit debt owed $20,000; credit cash $5,000; credit common stock $15,000
    C. Debit debt owed $5,000; credit cash $5,000
    D. Debit common stock $15,000; debit cash $5,000; credit debit owed $20,000

**My answer: B because you I know that you first need to credit cash because it is a decrease in cash when you pay the creditor. Next you will need to credit common stock because you have issued common stock which is a credit on the t account. Then you must debit debt owed because that is an account payable so a debit in the account payable section would decrease what you owe. I'm not 100% here can someone please tell me if I'm correct?

Check out some similar questions!

Issuing Common Stock and its impact on financial statements [ 5 Answers ]

When a corporation issues common stock what is the impact on the financial statements (assets, liabilities, stockholders' equity, and net income) and on the following financial ratios: Current ratio, ROA, and ROE?

How to journal beginning balance with common stock [ 1 Answers ]

Began business by making a deposit in a company account of $12000, in exchange for 1200 shares of $10 par value common stock. I know that may cash account and common stock are affected, but I'm not sure how to journal it.

Common stock journal entry [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with the following problem: What is the journal entry for the following problem: The company sold 1000 shares of common stock to the market. The par value was $5 and the market value was $10 per share.

Journal Entries for Common and Preferred Stock [ 5 Answers ]

Create a journal entry: Common stock, par $8, outstanding shares, 30,000 Preferred stock, 6 percent, par $15, outstanding shares, 8,000 On October 1, 2009, the board declared dividends that would be paid, or issued, to stockholders' of record on December 1, 2009 Common stock: 10...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.